Beltclip

Shuttrr

Beltclip

Post by Shuttrr » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:04 am

Hi,

Together with a mate and his lathe, I made a quick release for the walkie-talkie. This way I can quickly click the walkie-talkie out of the holder and talk.

Cheers

VK3KYY

Re: Beltclip

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:56 am

Perhaps it would also be possibe to 3D print it, using ABS with 100% fill.

Shuttrr

Post by Shuttrr » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:30 pm

I think its possible. There are some photo's on the internet where they made there own beltclip.

ve7mdt

Post by ve7mdt » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:14 pm

nice.

I have used similar clips on cellphones and also 2-way radios. This is also the style it came with on the Yaesu VX-5R, VX-7R (that I owned / own respectively), plus a few other models. I have broken the belt side clip more than once while carrying the radio on my belt using this system, so I am not too satisfied with it.

On the commercial radios that I own, there are a few cases that have similar swivel belt clip system as well, but they are made with metal and a lot sturdier. They require a rotate (180 deg) to release / insert, unlike the amateur ones that have different mechanism for locking / unlocking.

The swivel mount clip design is good for frequent mount and dismount of the radio from the belt, and it suits that style of users. If you don't use it this way (either b/c of using a remote mic or just don't need to pull it out a lot during a day), then it isn't necessary the preferred mount, in my opinion.

One down side of this swivel mount is that it will swing / move a little when you move around, depending on how you carry / wear it. Another is the reliability b/c of the mechanical strength if it's a plastic version.

I have also used nylon pouch on my belt for my radios. And there are also pros and cons on that method. The good part is that it protects the whole radio while on the belt, yet not too hard to take the radio out from it to operate (w/ the velcro band, it's rather fast to draw it compared to the above swivel mount). The downside is that many pouch designs cover the speaker area and can muffle the speaker audio (if you don't have a remote speaker / headset in use).

Overall, for delicate amateur radio models, I prefer pouches if I can find the right sizes for them, as they can protect the radios better when in them. For commercial grade or professional grade models, I would not need pouches, and thus, would rely on standard spring loaded belt clips, or occasionally, the swivel mount on a case (rarely is it directly on the radio), depending on what I have.

My friend had broken the clip off his Anytone D868, so these spring loaded clips aren't very reliable / rugged either.

Thanks for your post and sharing!
David
VE7ET / VE7MDT
DMR radios: D878UV, D578UV-III (not arrived yet), XPR 5550, XPR 4550, XPR 7550, SL 7550, VXD-7200, CS-800D, RD-5R, GD-77, RT3s, MD-340 (not arrived yet)
DMR repeater: XPR 8400 UHF

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Yep, same, I owned a VX-7R and the only good thing about that damned radio was the belt clip. Seriously.

I haven't made this for the GD77 yet, should do that, but this summer I kludged up this for my Anytone 878 and it's worked fabulously: https://imgur.com/a/G9nApqv

That's a PC slot cover with some fancy work done to it, don't be jelly. Seriously though, it's pretty hacky but it works. Did it with just a small vice and hand tools and hit it with the rattle can.

Used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0814TZN7X

Honestly didn't expect my kludge, nor the clip, to last but wanted to see if I really liked the idea enough to do it better and so far I've had zero issues out of either. It sways when I walk so the HT feels lighter, easy to reach, easy to kind of turn sideways to peep at the screen quick without removing it, easy to remove when I want to, stays in place otherwise.

Just looked at the clip closely after using it for probably 100 miles of walking and it has eaten into the bottom and mostly sides of the button bit, but that is easily replaced and far as I can figure would not be a catastrophic failure if it did eat through enough to break. The screw through it is bolted to the back side of the slot cover.