can't hear most transmissions. why?

OE2WHP

can't hear most transmissions. why?

Post by OE2WHP » Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi

sorry to bother you guys with a question regarding the original firmware (v4.3.6) but I couldn't find a better forum to ask.
I'm new to DMR, did a lot of reading and online research but there are still some questions left and I'm obviously not smart enough to find the answer myself.

I programmed a contact with talk group 232
I programmed our local repeater as a channel ( RX/TX frequency, timeslot, contact (TG232), color code)
I programmed an RX-Group and put the contact in that group.

I can hear some OM's but quite often,the green LED comes on, indicating some activity but I can't hear anything. I tried monitor mode (promiscous mode) on as well but that doesn't change anything.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
73 de OE2WHP

G4EML

Re: can't hear most transmissions. why?

Post by G4EML » Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 pm

It is a long time since I used the original firmware, but I am pretty sure the monitor mode was only for the selected timeslot.

So there may be activity on the other timeslot. Or you maybe seeing text messaging or Repeater Beacon traffic which will remain silent.

OE2WHP

Post by OE2WHP » Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am

OK, searched the net a little bit for that feature. The original FW only ignores TG in promiscous mode but TS, CC and UID still apply.
Is the opengd FW more promiscous? Does it ignore CC, TG & UID as well?

Thanks

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 am

Yes, the OpenGD77 firmware allows the filters for talkgroup, timeslot and colour code to be individually turned on and off.

With all filters turned off you will hear all voice traffic on a frequency. This is only true for amateur radio systems, some commercial systems use voice encryption which cannot be received.

Note that disabling the colour code filter can have the side effect of causing noises at the start and end of transmissions because it is normally used to confirm the received signal is valid. It is recommended only to use it until the correct CC is identified.

ki4gst

Post by ki4gst » Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

I wish there was a way to make the radio let us hear private calls. I use my radio to monitor public safety as well as use for ham radio use. The talk group on the pubic safety isn’t using encryption but they are using private calls to keep others from hearing.

I know I can get around this by using a SDR dongle on a computer but I don’t want to tie up my computer just for that

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon May 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Not sure about your comment regarding private calls. OpenGD77 can already receive private calls. Just set 'Allow PC' to 'On' in the Options Menu.

Colin G4EML

ki4gst

Post by ki4gst » Mon May 10, 2021 9:40 pm

G4EML wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:11 pm
Not sure about your comment regarding private calls. OpenGD77 can already receive private calls. Just set 'Allow PC' to 'On' in the Options Menu.

Colin G4EML
I know about that. I’m saying to hear private calls not directed to my radio.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon May 10, 2021 9:53 pm

With that setting turned on the radio hears all private calls, including those not addressed to your radio.

I have just checked this by making a private call between two other radios whilst listening with an OpenGD77 radio. The OpenGD77 radio received both sides of the call.

I am not sure that this behaviour is really correct and is probably a bug, but it does achieve what you need.

Ideally the radio should only normally hear a private call addressed to its ID. There should then be another filter setting to allow private calls not addressed to the radio to be heard.

Colin.

ki4gst

Post by ki4gst » Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm

G4EML wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:53 pm
With that setting turned on the radio hears all private calls, including those not addressed to your radio.

I have just checked this by making a private call between two other radios whilst listening with an OpenGD77 radio. The OpenGD77 radio received both sides of the call.

I am not sure that this behaviour is really correct and is probably a bug, but it does achieve what you need.

Ideally the radio should only normally hear a private call addressed to its ID. There should then be another filter setting to allow private calls not addressed to the radio to be heard.

Colin.
Strange doesn’t do that for me. Only calls addressed to mine work like that.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 pm

ki4gst wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm
Strange doesn’t do that for me. Only calls addressed to mine work like that.
You must have made a mistake in your codeplug, because I doubt the official firmware would have such a major bug