Stop transmitting occasionally...

EB3AM

Stop transmitting occasionally...

Post by EB3AM » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Hello, I have been seeing an error in the hotspot mode.
Occasionally, while streaming internet audio, it stops transmitting, although the Pi-star still indicates TX. When this broadcast ends and another begins, the radio transmits again.
By monitoring the same TG with a Hat, the transmission is still active.
I think, but I have not been able to confirm that it has happened to me on RX, as my QSO colleagues have told me they have stopped listening to me.
I use a Pi-star with a fully updated raspberry 3B +. The USB cable is standard and the hotspot version is 0.1.0

73, Jordi, Catalonia.

VK3KYY

Re: Stop transmitting occasionally...

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 pm

In my experience... The Tx indication on PiStar is not very reliable.
Even on a Jumbospot I have seen on the PiStar dashboard that the Jumbospot was transmitting, when there was no signal and no transmission.

The Hotspot stops transmitting when there is no more data to send. It does not send Idle frames.

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 pm

Yes, that's right, but I have a jumbospot and gd77 in parallel in hotspot mode and I can still listen to the QSO in the jumbospot and gd77 has stopped transmitting. Radioddity re-transmits the next stream without any problems

The feeling I have is that it loses some frame between the raspberry and the gd77 and it stalls.

It doesn't matter if the tx time is long or not, at some point it loses the data and does not retrieve it until there is a new data start.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Daniel increased the USB buffer size because of some issues of dropping frames, but possibly this may still happen.
However I'm surprised that a RPi 3B would have problems sending via USB, and also the amount of data that is sent is very low.

You could try disabling the Cast display type if you have that enabled, as that would reduce the USB traffic a little

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm
You could try disabling the Cast display type if you have that enabled, as that would reduce the USB traffic a little
sorry, what is this?
Where should I disable it?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am

It is disabled by default.

So it must be turned off, because you did not enable it

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Well, since the 12th I have not seen any more error of these.
I have it permanently running, with powers of the order of 70%
I have other questions but I ask them in a new post.

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 am

Yesterday I got a "neo nanopi" and I installed the pi-star firmware that is compiled for this board.
I replaced an original Rapsberry PI 3B with this board and connected it to a Radioddity in hotspot mode.

Once it was completely updated and the settings were adjusted, I let it go for a few hours.
I noticed that the broadcasts were cut back, as at the beginning of this thread, Thing that had not happened for days.

I went back and replaced the Raspberry again. The cuts are gone.

In addition to the board, the difference is that I have been able to put Pi-star version 4 on the Raspberry. Whereas in the Nano PI I only have version 3 available.

By the way, the Hotspot version is 0.1.0 at all times.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 am

EB3AM wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 am
Yesterday I got a "neo nanopi" and I installed the pi-star firmware that is compiled for this board.
I replaced an original Rapsberry PI 3B with this board and connected it to a Radioddity in hotspot mode.

Once it was completely updated and the settings were adjusted, I let it go for a few hours.
I noticed that the broadcasts were cut back, as at the beginning of this thread, Thing that had not happened for days.

I went back and replaced the Raspberry again. The cuts are gone.

In addition to the board, the difference is that I have been able to put Pi-star version 4 on the Raspberry. Whereas in the Nano PI I only have version 3 available.

By the way, the Hotspot version is 0.1.0 at all times.
What firmware version are you running ?

The Hotspot version only relates to changes specific to the hotspot.

Sometimes we make changes to the underlying function, e.g. my experimental posts the last 2 days, and these changes would affect Hotspot mode, but normally the Hotspot version number is not changed under these situations, so you have to look at both the main firmware version date and the Hotspot version number

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:04 am

What firmware version are you running ?

The Hotspot version only relates to changes specific to the hotspot.

Sometimes we make changes to the underlying function, e.g. my experimental posts the last 2 days, and these changes would affect Hotspot mode, but normally the Hotspot version number is not changed under these situations, so you have to look at both the main firmware version date and the Hotspot version number
I running firmware 20200216 all time.