MMDVMHost working and running on Mac OSX (was: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?)

DU2XXR

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 am

Thanks so much, Roger. I will test this extensively :) .

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:35 am
Thanks so much, Roger. I will test this extensively :) .
OK.

If it doesnt run at all, let me know and I'll package it as a DMG first and then zip the DMG

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi Roger. I was able to make it work perfectly on my main work machine, which runs High Sierra. However, the old laptop I use as ROIP server is an old Macbook that runs 10.7.5. I am getting "Illegal Instruction: 4" when I try to run MMDVMHost executable.

Is it possible to compile the binary using the -mmacosx-version-min flag so that it can possibly work on older versions?

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Apparently, I could also compile it myself from git source (I must have done something wrong previously). My own compiled executable works on my main machine. However, when I copy it over to my old Mac, I still get the "Illegal Instruction: 4" error.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Angelo,
4I1RAC wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm
Apparently, I could also compile it myself from git source (I must have done something wrong previously). My own compiled executable works on my main machine. However, when I copy it over to my old Mac, I still get the "Illegal Instruction: 4" error.
It's probably because both architectures are different, and the binary use CPU instruction(s) unavailable on the other one.
I would suggest to build the binary on both machine.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

EDIT: some explanations here

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 pm

It will not compile on older versions, because of some difference in the library functions associated with the time handling functions.

I am a bit surprised that the compiler is compiling code that will only run on newer processor architectures, but this is a general problem with Apple.

There may be a compiler switch to force it to support the older processors, but it’s not my area of expertise.

I had to buy a Mac last year, because the latest Apple dev tools don’t run on their older versions of OS, and the older OS don’t run on their older hardware.
So basically after your Mac is more than around 5 years old, it’s no longer supported and you have to buy new hardware.

I only have a few Apple products as I need them for my business. They don’t get used for anything else.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:51 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning to compile it on my older Mac, although I don't have the tools there, so I'll need to find a way (or maybe it won't compile?). I guess I'm happy with having made it work on OSX in the first place -- as a proof of concept, and perhaps to help out other hams who may want to run MMDVMHost and their OpenGD77 as hotspot using their Mac.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 am

Hi Angelo

I'll try changing the makefile and recompiling it with that option and send you another binary, if it compiles

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:33 am

Angelo

I tried setting the min version to 10.7.5 but it would not compile because of incompatibilities with the header / library files.

The oldest version number which would actually compile is 10.9

So I've attached a version compiled to support that OS version, and if you are lucky it may work on OSX 10.7, as the processor used on 10.9 may be the same that they were using back when 10.7 was released.

Failing that, you'd need to start modifying the code to get it to compile.
Attachments
MMDVMHost_OSX_10.9.zip
(366.47 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:59 am

Thanks, Roger. I'll give this a try.