repeater in hotspot mode not visible on aprs.fi page

TA1DRE

repeater in hotspot mode not visible on aprs.fi page

Post by TA1DRE » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:49 am

I looked for the answer to this question in the forum but could not find it, so I opened this article.
I successfully installed the Opengd77 firmware on my DM1701 radio and made all zone and channel settings in CPS correctly. Additionally, I successfully loaded the file I downloaded from Pistar onto the Raspberry SD card. I aim to make the device a long distance mmdvm hotspot. And with the settings I made, I can now successfully install mmdvm in hotspot mode. I can both send and receive. My problem is that although I wrote the latitude and longitude information of the hotspot I created on both the http://pi-star/admin/ configuration page and the brandmeister.network page, my hot spot does not appear on the aprs.fi page. can you help me with this?

VK3KYY

Re: repeater in hotspot mode not visible on aprs.fi page

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am

TA1DRE wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:49 am
I looked for the answer to this question in the forum but could not find it, so I opened this article.
I successfully installed the Opengd77 firmware on my DM1701 radio and made all zone and channel settings in CPS correctly. Additionally, I successfully loaded the file I downloaded from Pistar onto the Raspberry SD card. I aim to make the device a long distance mmdvm hotspot. And with the settings I made, I can now successfully install mmdvm in hotspot mode. I can both send and receive. My problem is that although I wrote the latitude and longitude information of the hotspot I created on both the http://pi-star/admin/ configuration page and the brandmeister.network page, my hot spot does not appear on the aprs.fi page. can you help me with this?
AFIK aprs.fi is a completely different service to Brandmiester.

The hotspot does not receive APRS signals on FM or DMR and send then to aprs.fi, so I can't see why it should appear on the aprs.fi map.

The firmware can't receive APRS FM signals, or operate in FM mode with PiStar

In DMR mode the hotspot will pass the In-Call GPS data, which it receives as part of a normal DMR audio transmission, but the network Brandmeister handles forwarding the In-Call GPS to aprs aggregation servers.

TA1DRE

Post by TA1DRE » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am
TA1DRE wrote:

The hotspot does not receive APRS signals on FM or DMR and send then to aprs.fi, so I can't see why it should appear on the aprs.fi map.

In DMR mode the hotspot will pass the In-Call GPS data, which it receives as part of a normal DMR audio transmission, but the network Brandmeister handles forwarding the In-Call GPS to aprs aggregation servers.
Thank you for your answer. I understand what you say, but I do not want the radios to send daprs signals via hotspot. Aprs.fi also shows the location coordinates of hotspots made with mmdvm cards purchased from Chinese sites. Can't we see this hotspot we created with opengd77 on the aprs.fi map?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 pm

TA1DRE wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
TA1DRE wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I understand what you say, but I do not want the radios to send daprs signals via hotspot. Aprs.fi also shows the location coordinates of hotspots made with mmdvm cards purchased from Chinese sites. Can't we see this hotspot we created with opengd77 on the aprs.fi map?
That hotspot location needs to be defined in the MMDVMHost configuration (see [Info] section).

TA1DRE

Post by TA1DRE » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 pm
TA1DRE wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:17 pm
VK3KYY wrote:

That hotspot location needs to be defined in the MMDVMHost configuration (see [Info] section).
Thank you, but even though I entered the coordinates on both the configuration and info pages, they do not appear.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240319_185410_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240319_185410_Chrome.jpg (154.87 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Last edited by TA1DRE on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 pm

If I used MMDVMHost standalone (on a Linux host without pi-star) I noticed that aprs.fi wasn't update so it's probably some other component in pi-star
that reports to aprs.fi , probably APRSGateway.

But check that you enabled it in pi-star:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (84.99 KiB) Viewed 316 times

TA1DRE

Post by TA1DRE » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 pm
If I used MMDVMHost standalone (on a Linux host without pi-star) I noticed that aprs.fi wasn't update so it's probably some other component in pi-star
that reports to aprs.fi , probably APRSGateway.

But check that you enabled it in pi-star:
Capture.JPG
Sir, I added two screenshots, the settings are as you did, but I couldn't understand them.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240319_184830_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240319_184830_Chrome.jpg (245.89 KiB) Viewed 315 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Yes, few years ago all the APRS connection has been moved to the dedicated APRSGateway software.
Of course, in its configuration, you also need to enter your own Ham "password" to connect aprs.fi (I think there is an editor in the Expert "tab" fro the APRSGateway).

You can also take a look at the APRSGateway log (located in /var/log/pi-star/) to check if the connection is successul or not.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:25 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm
Yes, few years ago all the APRS connection has been moved to the dedicated APRSGateway software.
Of course, in its configuration, you also need to enter your own Ham "password" to connect aprs.fi (I think there is an editor in the Expert "tab" fro the APRSGateway).

You can also take a look at the APRSGateway log (located in /var/log/pi-star/) to check if the connection is successul or not.
I haven't entered any aprs password for my HAT hotspots, but I can try running a pi-star only connected to a OpenGD77 radio to see what happens.
I think it should work out of the box.

TA1DRE

Post by TA1DRE » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:25 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

I haven't entered any aprs password for my HAT hotspots, but I can try running a pi-star only connected to a OpenGD77 radio to see what happens.
I think it should work out of the box.
I couldn't see where to enter the aprs password in the hotspot. I have made a hotspot with mmdvm cards before and I still use them and there was no such problem with them. I would be very happy if you could try it for me. with my pages