Using Hotspot mode for remote control?

M7PKY

Re: Using Hotspot mode for remote control?

Post by M7PKY » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:52 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:37 pm
M7PKY wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:26 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Sources will eventually be released, but we don't release sources until they are stable, and its currently only at Alpha.

But a good knoweldged of both PC and embedded C programming would be required.
Do you foresee a future in which the project will stabilise enough for development to become open again? It would be awesome to contribute changes and get used to the codebase on the fly. I know it used to be before I even knew about it but I don't really understand what the position is even after reading the forum thread unfortunately. Not sure where you guys stand and what your reasoning is for things.
Sources for the GD77 were released ages ago

I probably need to create another release with the recent bug fixes, but there haven't been any major changes on the GD77 version

The source code won't every be on Github again becuase of potential legal problems.

Source code license has to be BSD++ because of the wishes of the original developer, Kai DG4KLU and also all the subsequent developers that their work not be used for commericial gain.

People have the option to develop their own versions under the terms of the license.

However to date as far as I'm aware only one person did this, and the result was that they completely rebranded the firmware market it as a completely different firmware, which is against the sprit of the project

I've also recently noticed that the OpenRTx project took all my source code for the Voice Prompts creation, and renamed removing any references to that it was written by me and is copyright me

So when people do this sort of thing, I makes me less and less inclined to share things which take me hundreds of hours of my precious time on earth to produce and make available for the good of people like the blind operators.
Hey there,

I would have sent this as a private message to avoid going too off topic, but it appears this forum doesn't have the facility, that I can access anyway,

Unfortunately, BSD can result in such uses of code in ways you may not intend. In addition the attached license says that the name may not be used to endorse derivatives, so that's probably part of the reason they completely rebranded their work. It would of course be completely inappropriate for the license to be removed, though.

I appreciate the legal concerns of placing the code in GitHub, but may I ask if you have considered running a Web GIT like Gitea or selfhosted GitLab?

Thank you for your continued contributions to the project, it's very much a brilliant alternative to my UV380's stock firmware.

vk7js

Re: Using Hotspot mode for remote control?

Post by vk7js » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:56 am

Hi Roger,
The code in OpenRTX is only very loosely based on your idea of the prompt and UI string lookup. It is significantly improved and different as any diff will show. You are still in the attribution at the top of the file also, and, when you did originally release the code, it was open source. No one has stolen anything, only built upon it, like most open source. It is even significantly different from AccessibleGD77. If you don’t want anyone to use your open source as a springboard for other open source projects, you probably shouldn’t ever release source code. I also have spent thousands of hours, getting things to work with M17. Most voice prompt code uses this principle, go look in the Baofeng radios or any radio with voice prompts for that matter. They are merely a lookup and correlation between UI strings and prerecorded audio. You certainly did not come up with the idea, just one implementation which you originally released as open source. Everyone is grateful for your contributions, just as you are grateful to the people who came before you and started the reverse engineering projects which you only built upon. This is the nature of building blocks. Every idea I ever came up with in the screen reader world is now copied even by Microsoft. I’m just glad I had a part in the history of accessibility and to make the lives of other blind folk better. I hate politics. No one has made any money, its just about getting as many radios to be accessible as possible.
I hope you won’t continue to be so bitter. We’re all on the same team, amateur radio operators all working together for the common goal of accessibility.
With much gratitude and respect.

Joseph