Hotspot mode and ethernet

kb3nun

Hotspot mode and ethernet

Post by kb3nun » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 am

running open gd77 in hotspot mode with raspberry zero, I would like to connect it to Ethernet also if I was to buy a micro USB splitter would that work, one end would goto the Ethernet adapter and the other would goto the speaker mic

Thanks
Kb3nun
Eddie :?:

VK3KYY

Re: Hotspot mode and ethernet

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:02 am

I think you'd need to buy a USB hub.

The GD-77 does not take power from USB, but the ethernet adaptor would need to be powered, so you'd need a hub which which can supply power

Normally hubs take their power from the device they are plugged into, e.g. your RPi Zero, but you'd need to check the specs on the RPiZero to see if its capable of supplying much current out of its USB connection

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 am

Isn't it easier (and cheaper) to just buy Raspberry 3B+? :)

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat May 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Or a Zero W that has wifi.. But yeah you can get a hub for $10 and a USB to Ethernet dongle for $10, plus it's all a bit janky, etc. If you need ethernet I'd also suggest just getting a full sized Pi like suggested.

Personally, mine works fine on wifi.

iu2dlc

Post by iu2dlc » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:58 pm

I just report what i done:
1) Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W (40 euro with shipping from italian local reseller)
2) 3A Power supply (10 euro on AMZ) with switch (on/off)
3) USB-C to USB-A 3 port HUB (3.0) + Gigabit Ethernet port RJ45 (20 euro on AMZ)
4) USB-C to Micro USB adapter (7.58 euro 2pack on AMZ)

Just connect RJ cable to Router from one side a to the new ethernet port on the pi zero, and GD77 usb cable to the HUB (you save also 1 usb-a to micro usb adapter).
I also and previously added 2 small ferrite on usb cable (one close to the GD77 connector and one on the PiZero side close to the usb hub port)

All work perfectly as a sharm. Tempereture of the raspberry is never over 40 degrees and cpu usage and ram are more than enough.
I neither use any kind of thermal solution because the temperature is close to perceptible even touching the CPU. Consider i am speaking about what pi-star report as temperature. Right now it is on but not working and with a professional IR thermometer i measured 36.6/37.4 celsius.
It hasn't the fever at all :-)
Do you believe me?
Have a look (on the pics just one ferrite miss because i added it after the post) :
https://www.pietricello.com/wordpress/w ... caled.jpeg