Automatic Software update board post ?

ve2wkr

Automatic Software update board post ?

Post by ve2wkr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:42 pm

HI!
would it be possible to have an automatic post every time there is a new firmware version ?
Or a least a quick note to go look ?
I found myself on a couple of versions behind because there is no notice of a new firmware version for the uv380 or md-9600.
Thanks.

VK3KYY

Re: Automatic Software update board post ?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:00 pm

I don't think there is a easy way to do that using this forum software.

It would require a mailing list system to which people can add themselves.

In the past I had a new firmware thread for the GD77 and people got notified if there was a post to that thread, but in order to subscibe to that thread, you have to post to it, and then all watchers of that thread get a notification of your posting. Also people often post to the wrong thread just to ask questions or make comments, and those posts get sent to all watchers of that thread

ve2wkr

Post by ve2wkr » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm

ok, I did find something that might work.
Topic bookmark. ( or thread bookmark)
If you create a new thread with some general title like "UV380 NEW firmware notification only" or similar for each kind of radio, then instruct people not to post comments there.
All interested users can then bookmark that topic, and get email notification automatically every time you post a new version...
73'
Luca

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:53 pm

ve2wkr wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:05 pm
ok, I did find something that might work.
Topic bookmark. ( or thread bookmark)
If you create a new thread with some general title like "UV380 NEW firmware notification only" or similar for each kind of radio, then instruct people not to post comments there.
All interested users can then bookmark that topic, and get email notification automatically every time you post a new version...
73'
Luca
Unfortunately I doubt many people would go to the trouble of bookmarking, and it would be yet another step I would need to do when posting new firmware, i.e post to the thread that alerted people that there is a new version.

I'd also probably get posts asking why they can't respond to the thread that is only designed to alert people.

A lot of people don't update the firmware even if they know there is new version, because its not worth the time and effort.