Proposed changes to the Australian Amateur Radio license

ok1pt

Re: Proposed changes to the Australian Amateur Radio license

Post by ok1pt » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 pm

It seems absolutely crazy! In history, there were no amateur radios available in shops - everebody had to build their own. And it was a great school of electrical engineering, starting with things like power supplies and ending with power amplifiers, filters, oscillators, antennas... Most amateurs are now using prefabricated radios, but there are still people (mostly old ones, HAM "veterans"), which use only the radios they had made many years ago! And they love them as their children. And the governments wants to make it illegal ? These people will die, if they lose their rigs! And of course, today's Chinese radio is a typical product which needs to be improved and many times even fixed to operate properly. I understand it for PMRs, which may be used by children, so they must be fool-proof... So, I believe that it iwll not happen.
BTW, I believe, that you can continue with the development, but it will have to be marked as "for export only" :-). And it will be on responsibility of every person, whether they will use it in your country or not. Or eventually hire a server in USA or EU and publish your work there... Who's the Github owner ? Microsoft ? I'm not sure now. But if it's not an Australian subject, I believe you can keep your work there...

VK3KYY

Re: Proposed changes to the Australian Amateur Radio license

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 pm

ve7mdt wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:51 pm
I have noticed this while watching some YouTube videos, but I didn't get to learn of the details (as I don't live in Australia).

Here in Canada, they have removed the annual licence fee (was $24/year then) about 20 years ago, but didn't change a whole lot more. A new ham can get certified (the licence is implied but technically removed), and a first callsign for free, and it's good for life. Only additional callsign will cost a flat fee of $60. (plus tax), and it's also good for life.

Our regulatory body (now called ISED) doesn't really do much at all, but at least they let us play. We thought they were bad enough, now I guess we should consider ourselves lucky.

Hope the outcome in Australia is not going to be very bad. It sounds kinda crazy!
The proposed changes had a large number of potential consequences, including the right to use home made or modified equipment, and also potentially the reregistration of all Australian hams from all digital IDs including the DMR ID because the licencing authority would no longer be the national radio regulation government department.

The proposal has been objected to by all Hams in AU, but the government has a history of cost cutting, and may ignore the objections :-(