Roaming

ve2ugo

Roaming

Post by ve2ugo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:39 am

Could the "roaming" function be added?

For me it is this function which would be a very big step forward !!!

Thanks for the great job you have already done!

KI5PGJ

Re: Roaming

Post by KI5PGJ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Hugo

I talked to a couple people who have Motorola DMR radios regarding roaming. As you stated in another thread Motorola "roaming" is very basic. A minimum RSI value is set then the radio scans through channels (repeaters) until it finds one above that minimum. It uses that channel as long as the RSI value is above the minimum threshold. If that channel goes below the minimum it begins the process again to find another channel.

I didn't ask them what happens if none of the channels meat the criteria.

Liz

ve2ugo

Post by ve2ugo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:28 pm

It can be set ... either it stays at the last channel or returns to the original channel. It also indicates that the search did not work. You can ask him to start the search again ...

When i saw the last beta, I told myself that the developer and radio resources were still available so I think the time would be better spent on this option which is not just a small personal interesting feature ... It is really a major function in utility which already exists in the commercial ...

KI5PGJ

Post by KI5PGJ » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:34 pm

chuckle

I don't think it is the "user" community opinions that determine what the developers work on. From my perspective developers work on what they find interesting, not on someone's opinion related to "time would be better spent".

The source code is there, if you, myself or anyone else believes roaming is important they should submit code to provide this functionality, without removing what is already there.

g.day

ve2ugo

Post by ve2ugo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:57 pm

I understand your opinion. But when a developer is unfamiliar with the function and does not see the usefulness and enthusiasm of the community, then it is almost certain that the function will never be coded. It also takes motivation to do it!
I think it is also important to discuss it and inform.

At the beginning, Roger had asked us which function in priority we would be interested to have.

Now that the project has matured a lot, I think we are there! We thought there wouldn't be all that room for multiple functions. Now that we know, we can think about it ...