Ailunce HD1

OK2MOP

Re: Ailunce HD1

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:46 am

I am an owner of both the "old" and "new" Ailunce HD1 versions. I do not know if the new one is a "Saturday night special" but I almost returned it, then kept it in case I got to play with the firmware in the future. There are many things wrong with this radio (HD1P V2 version with GPS):
  • the bundled programming cable works only with drivers supplied by Retevis/Ailunce after a request in their CPS (strangely it flashes correctly with DFU mode)
  • stock antenna delivered with the radio is tuned to to 149MHz in 2m band and around 405MHz in 70cm band, having SWR over 2 in both HAM bands
    maximum output power with fully charged battery on high setting does not exceed 7W for both UHF and VHF (even with 50W specialized resistive load) - should be 8W/10W and I do not know of any way to adjust the factory calibration right now.
  • also the frequency calibration of this specific radio seems to be quite off (> 200 Hz according to SDR/hotspot) at least in the UHF band.
For porting the firmware I see several potential complications when I have looked into it:
  • both versions use specific DFU protocol as mentioned above, however it is known, so it is probably not a big issue itself (but CPS sources are not available to add it).
  • Like the RT50 (aka TYT MD-680D) mentioned in developer discussions, it is using the serial-to-USB converter (with the same "hack" of USB pins also being connected directly to the UART RX/TX lines at least in V1) so the serial communication with CPS would have to be changed in the radio to use UART directly.
  • V1 has also colour graphical display, I do not know if any of the supported MK22-based radios has one and how much RAM/Flash ROM is still free but I would suppose the memory requirements will be increased because of its usage in OpenGD77 firmware.
The one thing which would make the two versions of radio interesting is that the structure of the menus and firmware is (almost) identical in both radios, the codeplug and communication protocol is identical so it is possibly using the same codebase for building the firmware. As such it could be a "Rosetta stone" for C6000 and C7000 differences in code setup if it was possible to decompile the V2 firmware. But without the SDK, this would probably not help anyway.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:42 am

Interesting that the new version of the HD1 uses a USB to Serial converter.

Did anyone take the new radio apart to see what is inside, becuase it sounds very much like the Baofeng DM-1801 / DR-1801, which replaced the MCU + C6000 + AT1846S with a single RF module, and this module is only connected via its Rx and Tx serial data pins, rather than a true USB connection.

Likewise if it is just a DMR module + PA, it may explain why the power output is different, becuase perhaps the DMR module does not supply adequate RF drive to the existing PA.

These modules seem to be contain the C7000 and AT1846S and possibly some Flash memory, so that they are a completely self contained DMR radio

Re: C7000

I've looked at the firmware binaries for the GD-73, which although unencrypted do not seem to have any of the expected data that is normally sent to the AT1846S RF chip, even though the GD-73 has descrete C7000 and AT1846S

In other radio firmwares, which have been decrypted the register numbers of 0x29 and 0x2A are often close together in the code becuase these 2 registers need to be used togeher to set the frequency, but I could not find references to 0x29 and 0x2A near each other in the GD-73 firmware

Of course it could be that the firmware uses 0x29 and (0x29+1) thus making it hard to find where in the binary is setting the frequency.

But if that was the case, then the firmware source code for the AT1846S would not be from the same code base as any other radio we've seen so far, which is a bit surprising, becuase so far, the TYT / Radioddity / Retevis and Baofeng firmware binaries show a high level of similarity, indicating that these firmwares originate from the same company, even though the radio hardware is made by separate companies.

The same applies to the bootloader as well as the firmware.

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:45 am

I think both versions actually use the serial-to-USB converter, as the cables are interchangeable and the original cable with Prolific USB-to-TTL converter USB device is visible even when the radio is turned off.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:46 am

OK2MOP wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:45 am
I think both versions actually use the serial-to-USB converter, as the cables are interchangeable and the original cable with Prolific USB-to-TTL converter USB device is visible even when the radio is turned off.
OK.

MELERIX

Post by MELERIX » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:39 am

OK2MOP wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:46 am
I do not know of any way to adjust the factory calibration right now.
[*]also the frequency calibration of this specific radio seems to be quite off (> 200 Hz according to SDR/hotspot) at least in the UHF band.
about that, there is a tool for calibration/alignment (HD1 Tune(C7000) v3.03).

OK2MOP

Post by OK2MOP » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:33 pm

Thanks for the tool information, unfortunately I am giving up on the V2 radio, as I have found out when trying to use it in real world conditions that it stops transmitting after 6 seconds when PTT is kept pushed even with all timeouts set to very high values or fully disabled (and VFO nor full reset will help with that). Besides other issues I had with this radio (and even the tune tool will not improve the BER and somebody else is reporting terrible BER with DM1701 hotspot in this forum) I would strongly suggest this new version is just a waste of money.
MELERIX wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:39 am
OK2MOP wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:46 am
I do not know of any way to adjust the factory calibration right now.
also the frequency calibration of this specific radio seems to be quite off (> 200 Hz according to SDR/hotspot) at least in the UHF band.
about that, there is a tool for calibration/alignment (HD1 Tune(C7000) v3.03).

MELERIX

Post by MELERIX » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:52 am

OK2MOP wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:33 pm
Thanks for the tool information, unfortunately I am giving up on the V2 radio, as I have found out when trying to use it in real world conditions that it stops transmitting after 6 seconds when PTT is kept pushed even with all timeouts set to very high values or fully disabled (and VFO nor full reset will help with that). Besides other issues I had with this radio (and even the tune tool will not improve the BER and somebody else is reporting terrible BER with DM1701 hotspot in this forum) I would strongly suggest this new version is just a waste of money.
these symptoms makes me guess that your radio is misaligned/uncalibrated and that's why you have these issues, try check my post here: https://auto-cb18.ru/viewtopic.php?p=143751#p143751 because something similar happened to me when I've expanded frequency, but I've recovered it following of the comments from there and the tool I've mentioned.

MELERIX

Post by MELERIX » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 am

Ailunce HD2 inside, it uses C7000 chip too

youtu.be/BRSggYNPsXI