Ailunce HD1

VK3KYY

Ailunce HD1

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 am

FYI

I was just sent a schematic for a Ailunce HD1 and it the hardware appears to be very similar to the RD-5R

As Retrevis sell the Ailunce HD1, and Retrevis are just a rebranding company like Radioddity, I presume this radio is probably a rebranded Baofeng, or possibly a rebranded TYT radio?

VK3KYY

Re: Ailunce HD1

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 am

OK.

In that case its design is probably based on analysis the DM-5R

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:03 am

ve7mdt wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:08 am
When talking to the Retevis Official Store on eBay (via a chain of emails), their sales rep claimed that Ailunce is their brand under Retevis and caters wholly to the amateur radio market (while Retevis caters to both commercial and amataur?). But Retevis has sold many products that are found under other brands, so it's more or less a brand that rebrands others' products. Since the HD1 is unique in its look, it could be a special / custom ODM built by TYT. And I think TYT over Baofeng just b/c before the RD-5R, Baofeng didn't have a (successful?) DMR radio.
I had a quick look at the HD1 firmware update package and its completely different from the normal delivery method used on the GD-77 or TYT MD-380 or Baofeng DM1801 or Baofeng RD-5R etc.

The firmware package seems to be an exe with the firmware built binary build inside. Its potentially just a wrapper exe and the firmware could possibly be extracted as a separate file, if someone takes a look at the exe with one of the many free programs which can look inside an exe at its resources (I think PE-Explorer may be one of those sorts of programs)

However, because they have done things differently, it would take a lot of extra effort to try to understand how to even package up and upload new firmware to that radio.

The firmware its self is likely to be written by the same people who write all the other firmware for TYT and Baofeng, because the DMR chip manufacturer does not release the data sheets, and hence only their in-house development team is able to write firmware for these radios.

The only reason the OpenGD77 firmware vaguely works, is because of a leaked partial copy of the DMR chip data sheet, in Chinese, plus a huge amount of reverse engineering (which I estimate must have taken hundreds of hours of work by various people).

But it would not be economic or prudent for a commercial software development company to try to write code to run on effectively undocumented hardware, as its too much of a risk and far too expensive in developer time.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:14 am

ve7mdt wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 am
Very interesting indeed. I don't know many who own the Ailunce, and also they seem to be a "one hit wonder", unlike other brands. So it's quite curious about this model.

I guess Retevis wants to experiment with a premium brand and see if it can capture the ham radio market.
AFIK. Retevis are just rebranded TYT radios. e.g. The Retevis RT3S is the TYT MD-UV-380

I did a binary file analysis on the latest RT3S and UV380 firmware and the files are 99% the same.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 pm

This post looks like an advert and will be removed.

FYI.
Unless the manufacturers of these radios start providing detailed technical information and also their encryption system, the firmware is never going to get ported to any other radios.

If you want the firmware to be ported to this radio, I suggest you approach Ailunce and ask them to either facilitate the process, or port it themselves.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:00 am

It looks like there is enough information to port to this radio, however this would require that the developers buy multiple HD1 radio, which they would not use and which would be costly.

Its also likely that Ailunce may be discontinuing this radio soon, which would make porting to the radio a big waste of time.

DC7JZB

Post by DC7JZB » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 am

I think they don‘t will discontinue it so fast. :mrgreen:

I saw several Informations to the HD1 on OpenRTX. https://openrtx.org/#/hd1
But I don't have the skills for programming. :cry:

The HD1 is definetly the better Radio. Louder and better Audio, no Blocking in the Receiver, when there are big Signals around, and a hard, rough IP67 Case like many Motorolas.

DC7JZB

Post by DC7JZB » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:01 am

ridhoaliasdodo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:36 am
Looks like retevis is developing the Ailunce HM1. This could be the radio set in Ailunce first car, possibly DMR-based too.
Yepp, since 2 Years. 8-)
And they've promised that it will be fully compatible to the HD1. :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:24 am

DC7JZB wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 am
I think they don‘t will discontinue it so fast. :mrgreen:

I saw several Informations to the HD1 on OpenRTX. https://openrtx.org/#/hd1
But I don't have the skills for programming. :cry:

The HD1 is definetly the better Radio. Louder and better Audio, no Blocking in the Receiver, when there are big Signals around, and a hard, rough IP67 Case like many Motorolas.
Looking at the schematic, this radio is very similar to the GD77 / RD5R / DM1801

See

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenR ... ematic.pdf

It uses the same RF chip and only has 1 RF transceiver chip.

It also has the 100MHz band broadcast FM radio receiver like the RD5R, but I don't see any other special circuits that would make it any better than these other radios.

Louder audio us possibly a better speaker or different audio amplifer chip.
The increase power output is probably because it has a larger PA FET

The CPU and DMR chips are exactly the same as the GD77/RD5R/DM1801

DC7JZB

Post by DC7JZB » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:24 am

I don't know how they do it, but I have many Places here in Berlin, with big powerfull commercial Tetra transmitters where I can't use the GD77.
In FM only Noise and fully S-Meter Scale over the Bands, no Decoding of DMR Signals.

And the HD1 works like a charme at the same Places.