Newbie Stuck

AL7AK

Re: Newbie Stuck

Post by AL7AK » Tue May 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Yippie, success. I just got brave and called someone on 3100 and made a contact. He was hearing me fine and it was clearly working. I am absolutely amazed that this little $50 DM1801 is working and getting good signal reports. I am not sure what the deal with Parrot 9990 is but is seems it is not important. Now I just have to get my other DM1801 programmed up for my buddy in Montana and maybe we can talk.

I am serious you guys, if you private email me your paypal accounts I would be pleased to buy you each your favorite beverage.

I could not have gotten these working without your help. Thanks for taking some of your valuable time to help me.

All the best
AL7AK
Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA

AL7AK

Post by AL7AK » Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Is this the procedure to calibrate?

http://www.k9npx.com/2019/02/hotspot-of ... ation.html

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 12, 2020 7:06 pm

AL7AK wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 pm
Is this the procedure to calibrate?

http://www.k9npx.com/2019/02/hotspot-of ... ation.html
It's outdated.
I will write the procedure in a moment.

Cheers.
---
Daniel.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 12, 2020 7:33 pm

ssh to you Pi-Star, then:

Code: Select all

sudo su

pistar-mmdvmcal

Version: 1, description: MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat-v1.4.17 20190529 14.7456MHz dual ADF7021 FW by CA6JAU GitID #cc451c4
The commands are:
    H/h      Display help
    Q/q      Quit
    W/w      Enable/disable modem debug messages
    E/e      Enter frequency (current: 433000000 Hz)
    F        Increase frequency
    f        Decrease frequency
    Z/z      Enter frequency step
    T        Increase deviation
    t        Decrease deviation
    P        Increase RF power
    p        Decrease RF power
    C/c      Carrier Only Mode
    K/k      Set FM Deviation Modes
    D/d      DMR Deviation Mode (Adjust for 2.75Khz Deviation)
    M/m      DMR Simplex 1031 Hz Test Pattern (CC1 ID1 TG9)
    K/k      BER Test Mode (FEC) for D-Star
    b        BER Test Mode (FEC) for DMR Simplex (CC1)
    B        BER Test Mode (1031 Hz Test Pattern) for DMR Simplex (CC1 ID1 TG9)
    J        BER Test Mode (FEC) for YSF
    j        BER Test Mode (FEC) for P25
    n        BER Test Mode (FEC) for NXDN
    g        POCSAG 600Hz Test Pattern
    S/s      RSSI Mode
    I/i      Interrupt Counter Mode
    V/v      Display version of MMDVMCal
    <space>  Toggle transmit
(H/h for help)
You can use the default frequency, which is 433MHz sharp, or set another one, using 'e'

Set you transceiver on the same frequency, in SIMPLEX mode (you can switch to VFO, enter the frequency and turn it to DMR, ColorCode 1)

Set the mode to "BER Test Mode (FEC) for DMR Simplex (CC1)", using 'b'.

Press 'f' to decrease the RX frequency, 'F' to increase it (at the beginning, you must enter 'f' few times before receiving anything).

You can also define the frequency step, with 'z', default is 50Hz, but you can lower this value when you're fine tuning.

Now, keep your PTT down, and adjust the RX frequency with f and F keys until the BER stabilize around 0%.

DMR audio seq. 0, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 1, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 2, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 3, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 4, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 5, FEC BER % (errs): 0.709% (1/141)
DMR audio seq. 0, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 1, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 2, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 3, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
DMR audio seq. 4, FEC BER % (errs): 0.000% (0/141)
Once you found the best BER value, press 'h', and at the end of the 'E/e' menu entry, the current frequency will be displayed:

E/e      Enter frequency (current: 432999200 Hz)

Now the math, e.g:
432999200 − 433000000 = -800

Put that value for RXOffset and TXOffset, in the Modem section, in the MMDVMHost ini file: "Configuration" -> "Expert" -> "Quick Editor" for MMDVM.

Click on the "Apply Changes" button.

You can now leave MMDVMCal ('q'). MMDVMHost will be restarted, using the new offset values.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

AL7AK

Post by AL7AK » Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Thank you Daniel. I will follow your instructions.
Now the DM-1801, or any radio, can also be calibrated but Roger states it is not recommended yet for use with the OpenGD77 firmware. DO I have that correct?

AL7AK
Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 am

You do need to set RXOffset and TXOffset inside MMDVMHost so that the radios in the MMDVM can be spot on the frequencies being used by the Handy-Talky. This is because the MMDVM SDR radio chips don't implement automatic frequency control (AFC). When you use a MMDVM Hat as the hotspot radio, you DO have to set RxOffset and TxOffset. That is done with the MMDVMCAL utility, and it's done from the shell window (SSH) through the PiStar dashboard. Menus: Configuration / Expert / SSH Access - will get you there...

Realize with the OpenGD77 firmware, your handheld radio can be used either as a normal handy-talky, or as a 1-5 watt hotspot. Right now, I'm sure your objective is to use the handheld as a HT.

But the DM-1801, and GD-77 and the rest DO have radios that implement AFC. It's automatic, and part of what's built into the radio and protocol chips inside the handheld radios. They will report a BER off the last packet of data processed when you use a DM-1801 or GD-77 as a hotspot, but it's only reporting how much AFC had to be applied to the incoming signal. When you use a DM-1801 or GD-77 itself as a hotspot, you don't have to set RXOffset or TXOffset in PiStar.

It's best not to start messing around with the calibration tuning settings inside your DM-1801 unless you've got properly calibrated test gear (generally a spectrum analyzer or VSA that can average and help deal with the TDMA alternating timeslots and interrupting the signal). OpenGD77 lets you access these calibrations, but don't mess with them unless you have the test equipment. It's on the Extras page of the CPS for OpenGD77. Also, the place to auto-load RadioID database contents to the radio is on Extras. Use this so that the radio displays call signs instead of numeric radio ids.

Also, The DMR parrot on Brandmeister IS a Private Call - not a TalkGroup. I'm not sure what happens to routing when you initiate a call to 9990 as a talkgroup except that it sets up a dynamic talkgroup between your hotspot and Brandmeister with that number. There is no destination that reflects that (you'd hear every parrot transmission by every radio on the group if that were the case...).

Also, one of the real advantages of OpenGD77 over other firmware shipped in the radios is that you don't have to set a separate channel codeplug for every separate talkgroup you want to talk to on a channel. For example, on factory firmware, you setup one codeplug for your duplex hotspot frequency and one of the talkgroups you would talk to as a digital contact. Then for the next talkgroup you talk with through that hotspot, you would have to write another codeplug with the same channel frequencies, but the new talkgroup ID as digital contact. And so forth. It uses up lots of codeplug positions, and also fills up zones full of separate codeplugs for each channel/talkgoup combination.

With OpenGD77, you program one codeplug with a channel and (if desired) a default talkgroup, plus reference a digital ID "Grouplist" that lists every talkgroup you might want to talk with on that channel. Then you can use the radio buttons to scroll through all those talkgroups on that channel without changing to another separate codeplug. I setup one codeplug per hotspot or repeater, and then just scroll through talkgroups without changing to different codeplugs. On receive, the radio can also be configured open up audio when any of the group list talkgroup IDs appear on that channel.

As to the beer account... we've all been where you've been, and know what it's like to parse through the complexity of getting this all going. It's quite rewarding when you make it actually work, and also start to understand how it's all put together. Karma goes around... It's what "Elmers" are all about...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 am

Re: TG 9990

Its just a TG.

If you want a laugh set your hotspot onto TG 9990 and listen for a while and eventually you will hear someone trying to do a Parrot call on this TG.

They won't get a response, unless someone else on their TG actually replies to them.

The other thing to note with Brandmeister that the response to Reflector setup or disconnection transmissions are made via a TalkGroup call, however the Brandmeister network responds back as a private call on the same ID as the TG of your transmission.

eg. To disconnect from a dynamic route or reflector, you transmit on TG 4000, but the automated response from the BM network is sent from ID 4000 (Private Call)
We had to put in a work-around in the firmware to handle these incoming Private calls on ID"s less than 100000 otherwise the firmware was going into Private Call accept prompt mode.

One final thing.
None of the networks are bug free, and strange things can happen.

People often attribute problems to the firmware, but often they are caused by network connectivity issues or bugs in the network.

AL7AK

Post by AL7AK » Wed May 13, 2020 2:36 am

Yes I noticed that Parrot setup as a Talkgroup yielded hearing everyone's Parrot calls. I think I understand the structure of OpenGD77 now it is different than the RT90 I have also been programming so I got tangled in the differences. I did not think I would ever get the RT90 working...

I still have a lot to learn but I started this project to do just that. I am really not much of a user, I just like technical challenges. I usually just key-up enough to test to make sure I have it working. Learned how to build and design drones which was very satisfying but I usually just flew them enough to test the design :)

The digital hf modes like FT8 are fun too.

I really like the GD77 firmware on the DM1801 and it was a cheap way to dive into DMR. I have learned a lot and I would have been stuck without all your help. So I really do appreciate it. I hate loosing on a project! I am not the smartest guy on the block but I am really stubborn about succeeding at the project.

I use a lot of open source resources and I am very grateful for the brilliant folks like Roger who create cool stuff and then share it with the rest of us.
I try to give back by writing beginners articles after I learn something like this. Sometimes gets beginners like me off developers backs!
So thanks again and I'll continue to explore DMR.

Cheers
AL7AK
Mike Kelly
Hayward, WI USA