[Use Options->Display options->Timeout:Squelch] Longer screen timeout?

KA1CM

[Use Options->Display options->Timeout:Squelch] Longer screen timeout?

Post by KA1CM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Hi, I'm really enjoy using this firmware. However, the screen timeout is kinda too short for me. Currently, the options are always on, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 seconds. Is it possible to have options in the minutes range, like 3, 5, or 10 minutes?

Thank you so much for such an awesome firmware,
KA1CM

F1RMB

Re: Longer screen timeout?

Post by F1RMB » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:27 pm

The backlight is one the stuff which have huge impact on the battery.
I suggest you to switch to "Manual" mode.

Remember, you can define a dimmed backlight value, see https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... min-bright

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:25 pm

KA1CM wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm
Is it possible to have options in the minutes range, like 3, 5, or 10 minutes?
KA1CM

What is the use case for such long backlight timeouts?

The reason that the backlight needs to be turned off is mainly that it flattens the battery.
This is a normal functionality on all radios which have a screen which needs a backlight to be viewed, and I never saw a radio with such long backlight times

The backlight remains on when receiving a signal, so I can't see any use case where keeping the backlight on for many minutes after a signal is received.

Are you trying to use the fact that the backlight has been on, to indicate that the radio has received a signal in the last 10 minutes when you were not in the room with the radio ?
If this is the case, then the Last Heard screen provides this information for DMR signals, albeit not FM ones.

KA1CM

Post by KA1CM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:33 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:25 pm
KA1CM wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:28 pm
Is it possible to have options in the minutes range, like 3, 5, or 10 minutes?
KA1CM

What is the use case for such long backlight timeouts?

The reason that the backlight needs to be turned off is mainly that it flattens the battery.
This is a normal functionality on all radios which have a screen which needs a backlight to be viewed, and I never saw a radio with a 10 minute timeout

The backlight remains on when receiving a signal, so I can't see any use case where keeping the backlight on for many minutes after a signal is received.

If you are listening to a repeater they mostly beacon after 10 or 15 minutes so the backlight would almost constantly be on
I've set the timeout to 30s ,mode : Auto, and most of the time when a station is transmitting longer than 30s, the screen turn off while he is speaking. Am I setting something wrong?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 pm

KA1CM wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:33 pm
I've set the timeout to 30s ,mode : Auto, and most of the time when a station is transmitting longer than 30s, the screen turn off while he is speaking. Am I setting something wrong?
You need to put the radio backlight mode into its "Squelch" setting.

By default, in "Auto" mode, the backlight will only remain on for the first N seconds after receiving a signal

See the User Guide

Specifically

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... de.md#mode

KA1CM

Post by KA1CM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 pm

You need to put the radio backlight mode into its "Squelch" setting.

By default, in "Auto" mode, the backlight will only remain on for the first N seconds after receiving a signal
Putting it in squelch mode solve the problem, thank you.