Looking back and THANK YOU

AA3RP

Looking back and THANK YOU

Post by AA3RP » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:49 pm

When I decided that I would get into DMR I chose the GD-77 for two reasons, cost and the OpenGD77 firmware. At that time I never thought it would reach the level it has and continues to improve in both function and features. I purchased the MD-9600 mainly due to cost reason, plus it had good reports of being a fairly good analog U/V mobile as well. I had no idea that it used the same CPU as the GD77.

I remember when the issue of licensing and copyright issues arose and what a mess it made of things for this project. Then after a year or so a path forward is found (Thank you Roger). I also remember how surprised and hopeful I was when I found out the FW was being ported to the MD-9600, and how much it improved the experience and functionally of that radio Model.

Now there are several radios models supported by this FW project, and the community here also has input great information and feed back on it. Add to this the information about updating / adding GPS to the radios, plus the ongoing work on APRS, and the satellite tracking and function, it just amazes me.

I just want to publicly let the developers and maintainers of this effort know it is deeply appreciated and it makes my use of DMR radios much more enjoyable and functional. I will not considerer a DMR radio if it will not accept the firmware from this project. Also there is the fact that all my DMR radios now use the same CPS and code plugs are compatible across all the radios. Heck even the CPS keeps improving and now has the export / import of CSV files built in.

Beyond that is this website and upkeep of the files and versions. Recently working through the issues with Bots and possible spiteful individuals, and the false flagging of files as malware.

I know it is not enough, but a big THANK YOU to Roger and his teammates.

AA3RP

N1LSJ

Re: Looking back and THANK YOU

Post by N1LSJ » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:57 pm

I chose the RT-3S HT because this firmware looked way more useful than that Motorola based carp that they come stock with. And now have added an RT-90 mobile.
I hope the developers who are working on this firmware don't get discouraged by the bug reports and enhancement suggestions.
While not (yet?) perfect we still worship this firmware and those who developed it :mrgreen:

VE4HTO

Post by VE4HTO » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:34 pm

Fully agree to both of you, I re-dicovered DMR because of the OpenGD77 project!

73 VE4HTO Norbert

M1bto

Post by M1bto » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:06 pm

I was about to shell out on an expensive scanner , after having a Google I bought a cheap radio reflashed it and voila I have an inexpensive scanner .