Bots registering on the site

VK3KYY

Bots registering on the site

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:11 am

Multiple new users have been created over the last 2 or 3 weeks who do no follow site policy and don't use their callsign and don't introduce themeselves

They are also registering on the site by connecting through a VPN to mask their location.

The posts from these new users often look like they are by bots

If this situation continues, I will need to purge the site of all users who have not registered with their callisgn and have not posted to the new members section

VK3KYY

Re: Bots registering on the site

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:38 am

We have just had another BOT register on the site and post a Chat GPT style post

I have now disabled automatic acceptance of user registrations.

All registrations will now need to be manually approved

Also, I will need to purhe all exisyting users who did not use the a callsign and who do not appear to be human, i.e if they registed without posting to the New Members group or did not tell us later why they don't have a callsign

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:23 am

UPDATE

Looking in the site registered users list there are hundreds of users who registered without using a callsign and never posted to the forum

These are all potential bots and will be deleted

Basically, the rules will now be strictly enforced.

If you register you MUST use your callsign, and you MUST post to the New Members section
Users who are studying to get a license will be allowed, but they need to post to the New Members section to give that information

If you do not do this, you will be presumed to be a bot and the account will be deleted

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:22 am

UPDATE

Around 1000 accounts registered without using their callsign, and without posting to the new members forum, or any other part of the site,

Have been deleted.

Users who registered without using their callsign, but who subsequently posted their callsign, have had their username changed to their callsign

This has mostly completed the site cleaning, but there are still a few accounts who didnt use a callsign, but who made multiple posts, which need to be checked.

AA3RP

Post by AA3RP » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:58 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:22 am
UPDATE

Around 1000 accounts registered without using their callsign, and without posting to the new members forum, or any other part of the site,

Have been deleted.

Users who registered without using their callsign, but who subsequently posted their callsign, have had their username changed to their callsign

This has mostly completed the site cleaning, but there are still a few accounts who didnt use a callsign, but who made multiple posts, which need to be checked.
Thank you Roger for the time and effort to do this. It is a shame what Bots / AI stuff can and will do to destroy / alter normal healthy human interaction. Every form of tech can be abused and missed used and it seems the only real solution is vigilance and good communication with all involved. I am impressed with the ethics and standard you have and continue to use in approaching the unforeseen an unplanned issues / events and still able to keep this wonderful project alive and moving forward.

I really do not know what I can do to be more helpful to this effort, but I want to let you know how deeply you and others efforts and passion is deeply appreciated.

If ever there is something you need from me, please ask, and if at all possible I will be there for you. I am sure there are many that feel as I do.

THANK YOU !

AA3RP

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm

Its also possible that some individual does not like then project and is trying to cause problems.

I see someone posted that the CPS download has been reported to Google and can no longer be accessed using Chrome

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3266

and

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3260#p26088

See

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/f767 ... e835306656

EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:29 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:22 am
UPDATE

Have been deleted.

Well done !!!

Thanks for taking time on site cleansing...