Re: FM APRS

Post by kf4hzu » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:09 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:07 am
APOG77

Dropping the D

Because the APO is for Open Source

We use .g77 for the codeplug, so dropping the D has precedence
Sorry I didn't participate in the previous conversation, we had a hurricane pass by and had to prepare.

The discussion was excellent and it looks like you ended up with a great option for the setting. I also like you idea of dropping it from the configuration options as most APRS applications don't let the end user configure it since it is ideally a unique identifier to indicate what software (or hardware) is being used.

Note that not all software has moved to using the new repository for identifiers. Actually, most still use the old one. Hopefully the new maintainers end up producing a file similar to the old one using the new data so people can update their lists for software that may no longer be maintained.

Thank you for considering the feedback :)

kf4hzu

Post by kf4hzu » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:15 pm

DU2XXR wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:40 pm
I guess one good feature to have is to be able to quickly revise or change digipaths (e.g., when switching between working terrestrial digipeaters and working satellites), either by selecting from pre-programmed (CPS?) digipaths, or editing it on the radio itself.
This already exists. You just create an APRS profile named "ISS" (or whatever exact satellite name) and it will override the default APRS settings for that satellite.

Or just edit satellites.txt and set whatever path you want for each one. I think the default path for ISS may be broken:
Screenshot 2023-08-31 091730.png
Screenshot 2023-08-31 091730.png (23.03 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

k0oke

Post by k0oke » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:22 pm

Hi,

This message is mainly for the greenhorns like myself. I have been using openGD77 for about 2 months (and loving it). Today I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware for the FM APRS functionality. All seemed to go well. I flashed the firmware and installed the new CPS program. Configured an APS1 settings, a channel for 144.3900MHz FMN with APRS1, a APRS zone, and wrote it to my RT3S.

All seemed well, but for the life if it, I could not get the APRS to transmit the packet. After reading through different posts, I started this post reply to ask for help. In starting the post, I looked up the Firmware Info and then noticed my user error. I mistakenly selected a July firmware and not the recently downloaded Aug 18 version. After fixing the firmware issue, I still had troubles transmitting an APRS packet. Again user error. I would hold the PTT down 1st then push SK1. Nothing. Again and again in various forms, and I got nothing.

Then Eureka! I was able to reliably TX APRS packets by a quick simultaneous push/release to the PTT & SK1.

Kudos and Thanks to the developers!!

Yours very truly,

Paul K0OKE

ZL4JOCO

Post by ZL4JOCO » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:44 pm

New 4th Sept firmware (bug fix for 3rd Sept) is great! Kudos to VK3KYY and team.

Have loaded it on to UV390 and MD9600(V5). Performed "static" tests from home after setting up new APRS configs with latest versino of CPS. Worked nicely.

Tested it on trip into work this morning doing periodic triggers on the way just by a quick key of the PTT. Worked a treat. Was able to see my green trail into town on aprs.fi .

Cheers - James.