gd77+baofeng 1801 - faster scan than other stations

S58SMS

gd77+baofeng 1801 - faster scan than other stations

Post by S58SMS » Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 am

Hello,

do you know the reasion, why on older FW or in general on GD77 / Baofeng 1801 stations, we can face faster scanning than for example rt84, rt90, uv380 etc. I have some findings:
- analog scan is the same, superfast, except if you lower the squelch under i think 30% or so, than it is much slower; i do not know why
- dmr scan is fast, until the station gets on a data repeater burst (no voice call), this of course stops the station but:
- gd77 or baofeng doesn't botter with it and goes on in 30 mseconds if you have correctly set dwell time BUT - other stations stop for a longer periode of time, even if you have scan dwell time set on 30ms.
- even if you have scan dwell 30ms, the station NEVER misses the call, even on tier 3 systems.

If you scan for example 20-30 different repeaters with constant dmr bursts in the area, you can miss some other calls. I think it has also someting to do with filter time - because if you turn off ts scan, the scan itself is logically faster, but then you have to duplicate all the repeaters, which is nonsense and also expands time to make complete circle around repeaters.

Two questions: is there any possibility to lower filter time option. In the past, lowest filter time was 1 sec, now the lowest is 2 sec + if there is any possibility to lower scan dwell time to 20msec.

I can prepare a video, so you would see the difference.

S58SMS

Re: gd77+baofeng 1801 - faster scan than other stations

Post by S58SMS » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:28 am

I'm not surprised this forum is day by day losing its quality. NO threads and answers about actually useful things, but on the other hand lots of dumb questions and answers.

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am

S58SMS wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:28 am
I'm not surprised this forum is day by day losing its quality. NO threads and answers about actually useful things, but on the other hand lots of dumb questions and answers.
Roger and his team have put a lot of time and money into the design of OpenGD77. They even took the task to enable their firmware to be used on different models, they dit it not as a company, they made all this as volunteers, firmware to be shared and used for Ham Radio only. And every day someone comes up with another idea, how 'to improve the design', asking for unusual features, or obviously would like to use it for commercial. Some even requesting and ultimatively asking: "...any progress for my new chinese model XYZ ??? ". They all expecting, ultimatively (!!!), an answer or a solution. No one is 'reponsible' or has any obligation to answer question in this forum. Remarkable is however - and you are right - due to the widespred use of OpenGD77, more and more inexperienced users come with simple, sometimes hair-raising ideas or basic questions to this forum.

And who should take the time to answer these questions?

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 am

Hello,

i have said many times, that opengd77 team has all my respect to this masterpiece FW and my post was not pointed to them, but to all opengd77 community. What I'm worried about is, that we all waste time answering basic questions like you've mentioned (how to install, when will be portet to some station, how to use station etc.), but when somebody posts actual findings and asks about possibilities to make this fw even better, usually no useful or even no answer at all.

I'm following this forum daily and in general project from its "roots" and the communication has dropped in a few months to much lower level, thanks to this kind of mentality.

Pitty.

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:21 am

S58SMS wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 am
Hello,

i have said many times, that opengd77 team has all my respect to this masterpiece FW and my post was not pointed to them, but to all opengd77 community. What I'm worried about is, that we all waste time answering basic questions like you've mentioned (how to install, when will be portet to some station, how to use station etc.), but when somebody posts actual findings and asks about possibilities to make this fw even better, usually no useful or even no answer at all.

I'm following this forum daily and in general project from its "roots" and the communication has dropped in a few months to much lower level, thanks to this kind of mentality.

Pitty.
Hi!
Please consider that the popularity of this software permanently grows, and the user base grows accordingly. I'm also following this forum for a long time. I think that something had changed during the "crisis" time, when there were problems with licensing and the development model changed from the free open github model to this "semi-closed" development with just occasional release of the source code together with stable releases of the software. Now the developers outside of the core developer ring can't directly participate, and of course it limits the posts in the "Development" zone, which were always in the center of my interest. And because of the really large user base given by a wide set of supported models, some questions may sometimes seem "trivial" to the experts like you but it may be also caused by the language barrier etc. I believe that there are no other reasons for "dropping the communication to much lower level".
With regards / 73,
Pavel OK1PT

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:38 am

Just like you said. The problem i see is, that experts rather answer "easy" questions and spend time and efforts to basics than we focus on developing. Also, sometimes suggestions are not accepted very good... I have a feeling, this project has reached it's limits unfortunately. :!: