talkaround mode

KC7RBW

Re: talkaround mode

Post by KC7RBW » Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:19 am

Alas, it seems I was wrong that reverse is a misnomer. It's true that you probably shouldn't transmit while in reverse, and it's true that if you use reverse mode, the other person has to not be in reverse to have a conversation. That limits it's usefulness except to listen to the repeater input, but it seems it's how radios work anyway. 🤷

I liked the symmetry of Reverse and TalkAround being complementary features, but just because something should have symmetry doesn't make it so.

I've never used TalkAround, but it seems like a good feature to have for emergencies or for travel.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:23 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:19 am
Alas, it seems I was wrong that reverse is a misnomer. It's true that you probably shouldn't transmit while in reverse, and it's true that if you use reverse mode, the other person has to not be in reverse to have a conversation. That limits it's usefulness except to listen to the repeater input, but it seems it's how radios work anyway. 🤷

I liked the symmetry of Reverse and TalkAround being complementary features, but just because something should have symmetry doesn't make it so.

I've never used TalkAround, but it seems like a good feature to have for emergencies or for travel.
There are plenty of other ways do the same thing, including Channel -> VFO then set the VFO Tx --> Rx , both via the Quick menus (Orange button or SK1 + green), or Rx --> Tx or whatever combinations of frequencies you want to use.

And you can talk on a repeater output if necessary. Our local repeater has a lockout feature where it won't come back to life for several minutes, so its necessary to tramsmit on the output to tell other users of the repeater whats going on.

KI5PGJ

Post by KI5PGJ » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 pm

I'm in NM USA and quite a few hams use Motorola DMR radios and other commercial oriented DMR radios.

I've used talkaround on more than one occasion for simplex operation, when the repeater is down or out of range. In lieu of programming a simplex channel we put a repeater channel into talkaround mode, accomplished with a single button push.

So it's not just commercial users who do this.

Having explained the usefulness of talkaround I will say that that using Open* firmware is much more ham friendly than any of the commercial DMR radios, so it isn't the end of the world to not have single button talkaround capability.