talkaround mode

AB7IC

talkaround mode

Post by AB7IC » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 pm

I am using a GD77 with the latest firmware and CPS.
Other than copying the channel to VFO and then copy RX -> TX,
Is there an easier way to implement what Motorola calls TalkAround mode, or in other words, toggle between repeater mode and simplex mode?

VK3KYY

Re: talkaround mode

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 pm

brittont wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 pm
I am using a GD77 with the latest firmware and CPS.
Other than copying the channel to VFO and then copy RX -> TX,
Is there an easier way to implement what Motorola calls TalkAround mode, or in other words, toggle between repeater mode and simplex mode?
You didn't use you callsign or introduce youself in the new members section.

This thread will now be locked until you tell us who you are via the new members section.

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:46 pm

This is tom AB7IC. I posted in New Members, so hopefully this thread is no longer locked.
I am still wondering what is the best way to invoke Talkaround mode,
thanks, tom/AB7IC

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:36 am

What do you mean by TalkAround?

Is this what is also known as Reverse Repeater operation

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... -operation

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 am

TalkAround is similar to repeater reverse, but instead of swapping your receive frequency to listen to the repeater's input, you're swapping your transmit frequency to reach others tuned to the repeater, talking around, instead of through. Used even the repeater is down or out of range.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:43 am

Reverse Repeater is kind of a misnomer because on most radios only the receive frequency is changed, even though it's called "reverse".

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:49 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:43 am
Reverse Repeater is kind of a misnomer because on most radios only the receive frequency is changed, even though it's called "reverse".
The firmware changes both Tx and Rx frequencies.

There seems to be no clear definition for either Talk Around or Reverse Repeater but I found this

https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions ... vs-reverse

Which says
Talkaround: Transmitting and receiving on the repeater output frequency. Thus, you "talk around" the repeater directly with the other station. (Same as simplex). Both stations in a conversation can do this.

Reverse: Switching transmit and receive frequencies. Thus, you can talk directly to another station that is still on the repeater's frequency. But if both stations reverse, then they can not hear each other.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:07 am

Hi,

Talkaround set the TX frequency to the RX one (hence DMO), which permits to communicate in case the repeater goes down/unreachable.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:20 am

Talkaround is really aimed at commercial users who may only be licenced for the two frequencies used by their repeater. It enables them to communicate locally when out of range of the repeater or when the repeater is off. Both stations need to switch to talkaround mode for this to work. This puts the radios in DMO mode on the repeater output frequency.

OpenGD77 does not currently support this directly, and it is very rarely used on amateur repeaters as there are normally separate DMO channels available. If you really need it regularly on a repeater then you can always program a separate channel for this, or if you need to do it occasionally you can always temporarily modify the transmit frequency using the channel details menu.

Colin G4EML

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:24 pm

ve7mdt wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:06 pm
Yes indeed.

Talk Around is popular on many commercial radios such as Motorola. I have never seen this feature in a traditional amateur radio. Instead, amateur radio usually have a "reverse" function, that flips the TX and RX frequency, either momentarily or consistent, mostly to listen to the input to check if the other station is within simplex range, or to check the uplink signal; but can also be used for calling on the repeater downlink as well, which is sometimes used.

Thus, Talk Around (or T.A.) can be used for something like this, so I won't say it's completely useless, but there are ways around it.

But simply programming another channel can do this without needing this function, of course.
And OpenGD77 has a very good reverse function, just a long press on "#"

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... -operation