Add an existing channel to a zone ?

SA0BUX

Add an existing channel to a zone ?

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:43 pm

I read in the manual that you can add a channel to a zone with the "VFO to New Channel" function but can you add an existing
channel to an another zone on the radio or is the CPS needed for that ?
"

SA0BUX

Re: Add an existing channel to a zone ?

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:35 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:43 pm
I read in the manual that you can add a channel to a zone with the "VFO to New Channel" function but can you add an existing
channel to an another zone on the radio or is the CPS needed for that ?
"
I tested using "VFO to New Channel"
  1. Copied existing channel to VFO with quick menu
  2. Changed zone to the preferred zone
  3. Changed back to VFO
  4. Selected "VFO to New Channel" in quick menu
  5. Renamed channel to another name than "New channel NNN"
This worked fine.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:32 pm

Yes, that method will work. However it will create a copy of the original channel, so you will have two identical channels in the 'All Channel' zone. If you do this often you may find that you run out of channels.

It would be best to tidy this up when you next use the CPS. This will allow you to use the same channel in more than one zone and you can then remove the copy. This cannot be done on the radio itself.

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:56 pm

G4EML wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:32 pm
Yes, that method will work. However it will create a copy of the original channel, so you will have two identical channels in the 'All Channel' zone. If you do this often you may find that you run out of channels.

It would be best to tidy this up when you next use the CPS. This will allow you to use the same channel in more than one zone and you can then remove the copy. This cannot be done on the radio itself.
Maybe a function that could be added to the firmware ?

In this case I created a special "code plug" before I went on x-mas holiday and noticed that I hadn't added my hotspot channel to the "holiday zone"

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:03 pm

SA0BUX wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:56 pm
G4EML wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:32 pm

Maybe a function that could be added to the firmware ?

In this case I created a special "code plug" before I went on x-mas holiday and noticed that I hadn't added my hotspot channel to the "holiday zone"
The program memory in the radio is very limited. It is not practical to add all possible functionality from the CPS into the radio.