USB HUB preventing firmware upgrade on GD-77

ok1pt

USB HUB preventing firmware upgrade on GD-77

Post by ok1pt » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:44 am

Hi!
I wanted to flash the recent firmware to my GD-77, and the FW loader repeatedly refused it with an error window saying something like "Radio didn't respond to the initial commands". To close this window it was neccessary to turn the radio off or disconnect the cable, otherwise a smaller window appeared saying that the upgrade process cannot be interrupted :-).
I was very surprised, why it doesn't work, because it always happily worked.
Loading / saving the codeplug or other communication with CPS worked perfectly.
Finally I got an idea that my previous programming was done from the direct USB port on the back of the computer, while this unsuccessful one was tried from a small 4-port USB hub with a cord about 50cm long. So, I put the USB cable again to the port on the computer back, and the programming was successful for the first time.
So, if you have strange problems flashing the radio, check that there are no USB hubs underway, it may totally break the process.
With regards / 73,
Pavel / OK1PT

VK3KYY

Re: USB HUB preventing firmware upgrade on GD-77

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:03 am

ok1pt wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:44 am
Hi!
I wanted to flash the recent firmware to my GD-77, and the FW loader repeatedly refused it with an error window saying something like "Radio didn't respond to the initial commands". To close this window it was neccessary to turn the radio off or disconnect the cable, otherwise a smaller window appeared saying that the upgrade process cannot be interrupted :-).
I was very surprised, why it doesn't work, because it always happily worked.
Loading / saving the codeplug or other communication with CPS worked perfectly.
Finally I got an idea that my previous programming was done from the direct USB port on the back of the computer, while this unsuccessful one was tried from a small 4-port USB hub with a cord about 50cm long. So, I put the USB cable again to the port on the computer back, and the programming was successful for the first time.
So, if you have strange problems flashing the radio, check that there are no USB hubs underway, it may totally break the process.
With regards / 73,
Pavel / OK1PT
Hi Pavel

Thanks for sharing this information.

Possibly the USB hub caused some timing problems with the bootloader.