Code Plug Conversion?

G4EML

Re: Code Plug Conversion?

Post by G4EML » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:52 am

One of the main benefits of OpenGD77 is that it is no longer necessary to allocate multiple channels to each repeater with a different contact in each channel. However you can still do that if it makes more sense to you, just allocate a contact and leave the talkgroup list entry blank. This is the 'conventional' way of arranging a codeplug and may work well with only a few repeaters.

The recommended method is to create just one channel for each repeater. Leave the contact blank and select a talkgroup list. When operating you will then select the repeater by adjusting the channel, the required talkgroup using the left and right arrows and the required timeslot using the star key.

As for what is in your talkgroup lists, that is entirely up to you. You can have just one list with all the possible talkgroups, but you will have to remember which ones can be used on each repeater. Most people create separate talkgroup lists for each repeater network with their regularly used talkgroups. That way only the valid talkgroups will be selectable on a given repeater.

Of course you can also always directly enter a talkgroup using the # key, so you can still access less commonly used talkgroups even if that are not in any list.

Colin G4EML

KK4HP

Post by KK4HP » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:29 pm

G4EML wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:52 am
One of the main benefits of OpenGD77 is that it is no longer necessary to allocate multiple channels to each repeater with a different contact in each channel. However you can still do that if it makes more sense to you, just allocate a contact and leave the talkgroup list entry blank. This is the 'conventional' way of arranging a codeplug and may work well with only a few repeaters.

The recommended method is to create just one channel for each repeater. Leave the contact blank and select a talkgroup list. When operating you will then select the repeater by adjusting the channel, the required talkgroup using the left and right arrows and the required timeslot using the star key.

As for what is in your talkgroup lists, that is entirely up to you. You can have just one list with all the possible talkgroups, but you will have to remember which ones can be used on each repeater. Most people create separate talkgroup lists for each repeater network with their regularly used talkgroups. That way only the valid talkgroups will be selectable on a given repeater.

Of course you can also always directly enter a talkgroup using the # key, so you can still access less commonly used talkgroups even if that are not in any list.

Colin G4EML
Thanks, that simplifies things greatly. I found VK3KYY’s video on the subject as well which helps. It’s starting to come together now.

KK4HP

Post by KK4HP » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:13 pm

A local MARC repeater uses TS1 for the TAC310 & TAC311 TG's, the local Brandmeister repeater uses TS2 for TAC310 & TAC311. Do I need to make a separate Contact for each TG & TS? ie TAC 310, TS1, TAC310 TS2 Or if I leave the override set to None, does the repeater automatically direct the TG to the correct TS?

If one TG is static on one repeater and dynamic on the other, does it matter how the channel is programmed?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:20 pm

Yes in that situation you can create two different contacts with different timeslots.

If you leave the override set to none then the radio will use whatever timeslot it is currently set to. It is up to you to make sure it is set to the correct timeslot for the repeater.

There is no difference between Static or dynamic talkgroups in the radio.

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:30 pm

I have 2 TG lists. One for BM and another for BM

BTW. You don't need to manually press * to change TS to match the TG.

Make separate Contacts for TAC310 on TS1 and on TS2, and set the TS override on one to be TS1 and ther other as TS2

e.g.
"TAC310 TS1" override to TS1
"TAC310 TS2" override to TS2

In add "TAC310 TS1" to your DMR MARC TG list and add "TAC310 TS2" to your BM TG list

KK4HP

Post by KK4HP » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:24 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:30 pm

Make separate Contacts for TAC310 on TS1 and on TS2, and set the TS override on one to be TS1 and ther other as TS2

e.g.

In add "TAC310 TS1" to your DMR MARC TG list and add "TAC310 TS2" to your BM TG list
That’s what I did. There are 4 DMR repeaters I’ve been dealing with, if you want to have a look http://kc4mhh.com/ Go to the repeater project tan & then DMR.

So I set everything up with single channels and a TG List for the channel. It works as described and I can reach the parrot. I move between channel TG’s with the arrow keys. When I scan with things as they are now, I can only scan the channels with the specific TG selected. Where as before when I created individual channels for each TG, I could scan all the TG associated with each channel. Being new to DMR I’m not sure which is advantageous as I’m not sure which TG’s have the most traffic or local traffic. I’m going to try to catch a few nets and email the KC4MHH for some tips.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:37 am

KK4HP wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:24 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:30 pm

e.g.

That’s what I did. There are 4 DMR repeaters I’ve been dealing with, if you want to have a look http://kc4mhh.com/ Go to the repeater project tan & then DMR.

So I set everything up with single channels and a TG List for the channel. It works as described and I can reach the parrot. I move between channel TG’s with the arrow keys. When I scan with things as they are now, I can only scan the channels with the specific TG selected. Where as before when I created individual channels for each TG, I could scan all the TG associated with each channel. Being new to DMR I’m not sure which is advantageous as I’m not sure which TG’s have the most traffic or local traffic. I’m going to try to catch a few nets and email the KC4MHH for some tips.

If you need the radio to 'scan' both TS at the same time, you need to disable the TS filter in the Quick Menu.
Albeit this will apply to all channels.

i.e if the channel was idle and then there was traffic on one of the two TS, the radio will switch to listening on that TS.

If that TS is not the TS you are set to transmit on, then the TG / TS will display in inverse video, to alert you that transmitting will not transmit back on the same TS, even though it may be the same TG

i.e if either the Rx TG or Tx TS do not match the Tx TG or Tx TS, then the contact will be shown in inverse video

The radio will never change TS for Tx, or TG for Tx.

The official firmware, like most commercial radios, changes the Tx TG to match the Rx TG if you transmit while in the Rx tail period while the other stations TG etc is still being shown

However, this causes no end of confusion, so we don't ever change the Tx TG or Tx automatically.

If you want to respond when the TG / TS is different, press SK2 when the TS / TG is shown in inverse video, and this will change the Tx TG TS to the received TG TS

KK4HP

Post by KK4HP » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:16 am

It looks like if someone is using any one of the TG associated with a TS then traffic is heard on that TS regardless of what TG is being used/displayed. When I tap the * key I can change to the other TS and use whatever TG’s are associated with that TS.

I’m able to connect to the TGIF and BM parrots so I’m getting there. Thanks for all the help.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:13 am

KK4HP wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:16 am
It looks like if someone is using any one of the TG associated with a TS then traffic is heard on that TS regardless of what TG is being used/displayed. When I tap the * key I can change to the other TS and use whatever TG’s are associated with that TS.

I’m able to connect to the TGIF and BM parrots so I’m getting there. Thanks for all the help.
The firmware will hear any TG on either TS depending on the filter settings.

If you only want to hear traffic if its on the same TG and TS that you have selected, then you need to have the TS filter enabled and also set the DMR Filter to TG (or I think possibly Cy)

But if you do this you won't hear traffic on the repeater that doesn't match those filter perameters.

In my experience, most people don't enable DMR Filtering, as they prefer to hear any traffic on the frequency they are listening on.

I'm also not sure if you are aware, but the repeater can only transmit 1 TG per TS concurrently.
i.e max of 2 audio streams being transmitted at any one time.

e.g. If your repeater is transmitting TG123 on TS1; even if its also configured to be able to handle TG456 on TS 1, ut can't do them both at the same time

It could transmit TG123 on TS1 and TG789 on TS2 at the same time, but thats the limit.