CAL DATA ERROR and No com port Close and reopen... error messages

gb7ee

CAL DATA ERROR and No com port Close and reopen... error messages

Post by gb7ee » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:58 pm

I have had a trawl through the forum looking for some clues as to how I can resolve these two issues with out a definitive answer with out success and hope some one can give me some pointers .

This is the issue :

I have been given a GD-77 from another amateur that turns on and immediately shows the <CAL DATA ERROR > message on the screen .

When I try to read / write to the radio using the current CPS, I get the Select Open dialogue box and when I go to open the port it reports in a separate pop up dialogue box “ No com port Close and reopen the Open GD-77 Window to select a com port.

The PC / cable set up reads / writes to the other GD-77 radio’s I have so I am fairly confident it is OK

As a result I cannot access the Flash, EEPROM or Calibration files to edit them or install back ups from another GD-77 radio

Any suggestions as to how I can get around this issue to access the radio ?

Allister

G4EML

Re: CAL DATA ERROR and No com port Close and reopen... error messages

Post by G4EML » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:38 pm

Hello Allister,

CAL DATA ERROR could be one of two things. Either the Flash memory chip has failed or the Calibration data itself has been corrupted.
The firmware does a check of the start of the Calibration area looking for some bytes that are always there. If it fails then it displays the message you are seeing.

The CPS should continue to work in that situation. However if it doesn't then you should still be able to put the radio into firmware update mode and load new firmware.

If you email me at g4eml@gb3gf.co.uk I can send you a custom version of the firmware that will ignore this error. There is no guarantee that the radio will work properly but at least it should allow it to boot up.

Colin G4EML
Last edited by G4EML on Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:48 pm

One further thought,

The same message can be displayed if someone has tried loading the wrong version of firmware into the radio. The GD77, RD5R and DM1801 use different locations for the calibration data.

It might be worth trying to load the normal OPENGD77 firmware again.

Colin.

gb7ee

Post by gb7ee » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the hopeful response to my enquiry !

I will drop you an email and as you suggest , have a try at putting the original firmware back on the device.

Regards Allister

gb7ee

Post by gb7ee » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:35 pm

Just re read your last post Colin, the radio allows the Open GD-77 firmware to be loaded but when it is re booted the issue persists :-(

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:24 pm

gb7ee wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:35 pm
Just re read your last post Colin, the radio allows the Open GD-77 firmware to be loaded but when it is re booted the issue persists :-(
I recall under some conditions the official fimware corrupted the calibration data.

Probably your best option is to backup the Flash and EEPROM and possibly use the calibration screen in the CPS to attempt to repair the calibration data, however, the calibration screen is not designed to do repairs, so you may need to edit the header for the calibration data to fix this.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 pm

Just to update the topic.

I believe that Allister has now got the radio working again. It appears the Cal Table was corrupted.

Allister, it would be interesting if you could send me a copy of the Flash Dump you took when you got the radio working. I would like to try to see how badly the cal table had been corrupted.

Colin G4EML

gb7ee

Post by gb7ee » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:25 pm

Just a quick follow up to say a big thank you to Colin, G4EML for his help in getting this radio revived.

The a custom version of the firmware loaded in to the radio and allowed it to access the CPS so as I could upload another calibration file as it showed that there was not one in the radio that could be downloaded.

After that it allowed a firmware update with the standard Open GD-77 .bin file then took my old code plug and has been working pretty well today when I have been out and about using our local UHF and VHF repeaters.

Colin, I will mail you the recovered Flash file when I get back home and have the programming computer to hand again.

Once again, thanks again.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm

On a few radios the calibration table is not in its normal location. We are not sure why, but it may be caused by certain manufacturers firmware updates. It has been known to cause problems even with the standard firmware.

Please email me at g4eml@gb3gf.co.uk I can then send you a version of the Open GD77 firmware that should fix your problem. This version will check both possible locations for the Cal data.

Colin G4EML