Promiscuous Mode and a DVMEGA Hotspot

n2ry

Promiscuous Mode and a DVMEGA Hotspot

Post by n2ry » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:57 pm

Greetings,

Picked up my GD77 after over a year time gap.
Saw there was new firmware and updated to Feb28 2022. So far so good.
Reloaded the last code plug file i had ...... still good.

Updated pi-star and the pi board ... good

Started messing around with P-mode, made my static TG's on BM that I normally use.

Read the nedw manual, thought I'd try P-mode,
Orange Button, turn all filters to OFF (DMR & TS)

And I discovered that BM Hoseline is working again - great ..... But wait ......

I set the channels in Hoseline to what i have in my static set, now I can hear activity on Hoseline(HL), but usually NOT on the hotspot to the radio.

I've tried everything I could find to try, so this post is kind of my last resort. At first I thought i have a problem with the radio, but now I think its the hotspot or both. Pmode should allow all traffic thru to my hotspot, but im filtering thru my static TG list on BM

I dont always hear audio from the HS to the radio, but sometimes it does come thru. I get the traffic being first come first serve thing, but I can see audio on HL TGS but not getting thru. Is it possible that that Hoseline is not showing competing traffic keeping it from making to my HP ?

Or setting on either radio or HS not configured ?

I think Im missing something basic, like i said sometimes it work and sometimes it doesnt. I do remove very busy TGs like 91 and 31656. but still dont see others come thru.

ANY ideas or suggestion would be much appreciated

Rich
n2ry

VK3KYY

Re: Promiscuous Mode and a DVMEGA Hotspot

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:41 pm

The hotspot only gets sent one talk group at a time by the network

If you have multiple static groups, and more than one TG is active, you will only hear whichever TG the server decides to send to your hotspot.

Its also up to the server how long it takes to switch between which TG it decides to send to your hotspot.

This is really a question that could be answered better by people on the PiStar forum, even though your have a DVMega

n2ry

Post by n2ry » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:58 pm

TY --- I kind of thought that ..... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the radio side

Thanks to everyone who keeps the Opengd77 project going.

Rich
n2ry

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 am

n2ry wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:58 pm
TY --- I kind of thought that ..... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the radio side

Thanks to everyone who keeps the Opengd77 project going.

Rich
n2ry
If you have a duplex hotspot, you can assign a TG to each Timeslot, but thats the only way to get more than one TG being sent to the HS at the same time and the limit is 2 TG's

Its a fairly common missconception, that the hotspot gets sent all TG's and somehow you can use the radio to choose which TG you want to listen to, but when you think about that, it would not be possible, becuase the hotspot would then need to transmit all active TG's and the bandwidth to do that would probably exceed the entire band size of 2m and 70cm combined, since there could be thousands of active TG's across the whole world at any one time.

BTW. The network servers don't react that fast to commands sent to them, to change TG's, and very active TG's like BM TG91 have been known to hang the entire network, and if you have TG as a dynamic route, it can be very hard to disconnect

n2ry

Post by n2ry » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:35 am

my answer to my own question above was to just build a dual hat mmdvm.
my "understanding" of Promiscuous became all clear when i operated a dual hat.
The OpenGD77 on the GD77 works like a charm.

And proceeded to buy a GD88, and getting the hang of using that one now too.
But I still grab the GD77 because I'm so familiar with it.

Rich
n2ry