Feature request(s)

newbie01

Feature request(s)

Post by newbie01 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:20 pm

Could a confirmation for resetting the radio be displayed when holding sk2 when turning on the radio? If you make the mistake of doing that BOOM all settings reset. Just had a buddy hold the wrong button the other day and wipe out the config. Not a huge deal since I have a backup, but I thought I'd ask :D

Any way it would be possible to display the data from a DMR repeater in real-time, something like DSDPlus? The radio must be receiving it anyway since the RX light is on, and it would be cool to be able to see the data stream.

VK3KYY

Re: Feature request(s)

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:08 pm

newbie01 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:20 pm
Could a confirmation for resetting the radio be displayed when holding sk2 when turning on the radio? If you make the mistake of doing that BOOM all settings reset. Just had a buddy hold the wrong button the other day and wipe out the config. Not a huge deal since I have a backup, but I thought I'd ask :D

Any way it would be possible to display the data from a DMR repeater in real-time, something like DSDPlus? The radio must be receiving it anyway since the RX light is on, and it would be cool to be able to see the data stream.
What is your callsign?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:41 pm

I think Roger meant

What is your Callsign?

Auto correct strikes again....

It is a forum policy that your user name should be your amateur callsign if you have one.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:59 am

Hi Colin

I think my tablet must have auto corrected this without me noticing

newbie01

Post by newbie01 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:20 am

So hypothetically speaking, if I say I don't have my license yet do I get less respect from the community because I can't transmit? ya know... asking for a friend... :D

Sure seems like y'all are hot to talk about that.... If you think my suggestion is bad or not worth doing then say so, I can take it. I just think its a little strange to get 4 posts totally off topic, but maybe that's how things work here.... who am I to argue?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:50 am

Hi,

There are site policies, and using your callsign if you have one is one of them.
Another (de facto) one is to introduce yourself once registered, just like you would do when entering a room crowed with people.

About the settings reset confirmation/validation, it already has been discussed, and explanation about why it does work like this was given (but yeah, "people" need to search before posting the same questions/requests, over and over again, and this seems to be too much work for them).

About the last one, it's quit pointless to dump such info, everything you need is managed and/or displayed. MCU's time and memory are precious.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

newbie01

Post by newbie01 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:56 am

Okay, my bad... lets start over. Can we start over?

I'm a tech nerd who doesn't yet have a license. I also live in a somewhat rural area and have recently taken up the hobby and have my radio set up to listen to local emergency services and as an emergency comms device in the event myself or one of my buddies gets seriously injured while overlanding/4x4 offroading.

Any thoughts on the suggestions above?

*edit* Do any of you own a TYT MD-380? Coming from the perspective of someone who likes to tinker would it be a worthwhile investment for someone like me to check out?

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:52 am

The main reason for asking for peoples callsigns is that the firmware is licensed for, and targeted specifically at, amateur radio use. Others, like yourself, who are using the radio for receive only are very welcome but may find the firmware does not totally suit their use.
We do not support transmit use on commercial networks because loading the OpenGD77 firmware will invalidate any approvals for the radio.

In reply to your suggestions,

Yes, it is possible to accidentally press SK2 while turning on but this is not a common thing to happen. Even if the settings are reset it is fairly easy for someone to adjust them again to their preferences. Most people only change a few items from their default values.

Although the radio may be receiving data from DMR repeaters that data it is not easily available to the program. Most DMR functions are carried out internally by the dedicated HRC6000 baseband chip. This is a complex device and there is only very poor documentation available. The chip manufacturers are very secretive. We have learnt how to access the information we need for call setup and voice calls but things like text messaging and data transfer are still a mystery. So we currently could not do what you are suggesting.

Other radios like the MD380 have a similar, but different, configuration to the GD77. The MD380 in particular uses a different baseband chip. Quite a bit is known about the MD380 as it was the first of the Chinese radios to be hacked. However there still remains a lot to be learnt.

Colin G4EML

newbie01

Post by newbie01 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:32 pm

G4EML wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:52 am
Although the radio may be receiving data from DMR repeaters that data it is not easily available to the program. Most DMR functions are carried out internally by the dedicated HRC6000 baseband chip. This is a complex device and there is only very poor documentation available. The chip manufacturers are very secretive. We have learnt how to access the information we need for call setup and voice calls but things like text messaging and data transfer are still a mystery. So we currently could not do what you are suggesting.
Thanks for the reply and information.

G4EML wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:52 am
The main reason for asking for peoples callsigns is that the firmware is licensed for, and targeted specifically at, amateur radio use. Others, like yourself, who are using the radio for receive only are very welcome but may find the firmware does not totally suit their use.
We do not support transmit use on commercial networks because loading the OpenGD77 firmware will invalidate any approvals for the radio.
If I'm incorrect about this, I hope someone will correct me now so I can avoid heavy fine, but from what I understand there are a small number of frequencies in my country which permit the use of a radio that supports Opengd77, namely MURS. From the information I've read use of MURS frequencies does not require a license, can transmit up to 2 watts, and has no restrictions for radios featuring detachable antennas like the FRS (shares frequencies with GMRS) license free provision does. It seems it is restricted to simplex use for handhelds and towers below a set height, oh, and of course cannot use anything digital.

If this is in fact correct I would like to ask the community here to understand that different regions have different allocations for license free use and therefore an individual can actually transmit with no license without breaking the law. When I signed up I did see the notice that was something to the effect of 'those with a license should use their call sign as the name when creating an account'. It kind of sucks to get jumped all over with off-topic comments as a new member if I may be so bold.

Thanks for your consideration.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:45 pm

MURS requires a certified radio for Part 95, the GD77 is not Part 95.