Feature request - Zone Hiding

footloosejava

Feature request - Zone Hiding

Post by footloosejava » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm

Yet another feature request - Radio menu to toggle zones as inactive and then hide them and their channels from the other menus.

New menu somewhere 'Active Zones'
Select 'Active zones'
Scroll through to find zone.
Select zone.
Toggle 'hide zone' = zone now hidden when changing zones in radio.
Toggle 'hide channels' = all channels in zone now also hidden from channels list.
When scanning, channels hidden also remain hidden from scan feature.

WHY?
Feature will allow users to use same code plug but remove unneeded zones and their related channels from cluttering. For WINTER I scan patrol and rescue. Can no deactivate for summer.
For Hikes I scan Forest Roads, FRS/GMRS and some others. However then have have no need for CLUBS zones, Marine, SKI RESCUE, etc.

For consideration.

AA3RP

Re: Feature request - Zone Hiding

Post by AA3RP » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:12 pm

footloosejava wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm
Yet another feature request - Radio menu to toggle zones as inactive and then hide them and their channels from the other menus.

New menu somewhere 'Active Zones'
Select 'Active zones'
Scroll through to find zone.
Select zone.
Toggle 'hide zone' = zone now hidden when changing zones in radio.
Toggle 'hide channels' = all channels in zone now also hidden from channels list.
When scanning, channels hidden also remain hidden from scan feature.

WHY?
Feature will allow users to use same code plug but remove unneeded zones and their related channels from cluttering. For WINTER I scan patrol and rescue. Can no deactivate for summer.
For Hikes I scan Forest Roads, FRS/GMRS and some others. However then have have no need for CLUBS zones, Marine, SKI RESCUE, etc.

For consideration.
You can dream up always new features that would be nice for some specific scenario(s). The issue is the balance of effort to develop and the 'return' (how many and how much) will be of value to the overall usage by ALL users.

Not to degrade the value you would see from this feature request, but I would have little use for it personally. That is just me, but the real question is just how many would really find they would use this feature and if it is not there would it fundamentally impact their use of the radio.

There is a limited amount of development people and time, and so far in my opinion they have done an outstanding job overall. I am not here to stop anyone from suggesting anything for development, but I do desire to put forward that any suggestion will be balanced against the reality the people doing the development face and the overall value it adds to ALL that use their creation.

As such I want to conclude with that your suggestion is interesting and I see some value in it, but little for myself personally, and if it does not get picked up by those doing the development please do not feel rejected. They have done a good job and I will trust their evaluation and judgement for the future.

footloosejava

Re: Feature request - Zone Hiding

Post by footloosejava » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Thanks for your reply. Alas, I would love to code it myself and submit it for a future firmware. That would mean setting up a development environment ... something I am as loath to do for just one programming task that is short-lived.

While on vacay I needed to clean the scan list and pin more relevant channels and I didn't have a laptop or USB cable. The fact is, the radio cannot be easily reconfigured as far as 'active channels and zones' are concerned. For those of us that use it on-the-go, the idea of being able to mask-off zones and optionally their related channels would clean up the UI and make the radio more useful for things like scanning or just scrolling through.

Anyways, sometimes an idea just needs to be shared for others to think of it too and support it. Until I can magically update the CPS via bluetooth with my smart(dumb)phone, the ability to select a few zones and hide/enable would be a fast and easy way to accomplish pretty much the same thing. Just putting it out there.