Audio Leveling

N4NQY

Audio Leveling

Post by N4NQY » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Is there any audio leveling implemented (ala Moto). This is extremely useful.

jb N4NQY

VK3KYY

Re: Audio Leveling

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:09 pm

N4NQY wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:40 pm
Is there any audio leveling implemented (ala Moto). This is extremely useful.

jb N4NQY
Tx or Rx or both.

Not possible on FM, may be possible on DMR

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 am

I've been thinking about this, too. A digital "AVC" or "AGC" on receive would be highly desirable. Probably with an "off/on/thresholds" control in the Quick Menu.

We all know how widely varied the audio level of many ham DMR signals are. Monitoring any talk group or channel requires constant "riding" the audio gain control so that signals aren't inaudible one moment and deafening the next.

Recently, my Anytone 878's audio suddenly became very soft even at the highest settings of the volume control and the digital 1-8 range in the menus. When I discussed this on another forum, several people mentioned that their radios (several brands and models) had been damaged by excessively loud signals. Blown speakers or audio amp components. And I've seen the same complaint while Google-searching my issue. Enough people have mentioned it that there may be something to it.

Transmit audio AGC might be useful, too. Then OpenGD77 users would not make the too-hot audio problem worse. But it might also introduce problems like amplifying road noise or ambient noise if not adjusted "just right." So I'm on the fence about Tx. But for receive, yes, yes, yes.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:52 am

KD7MW wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 am
I've been thinking about this, too. A digital "AVC" or "AGC" on receive would be highly desirable. Probably with an "off/on/thresholds" control in the Quick Menu.

We all know how widely varied the audio level of many ham DMR signals are. Monitoring any talk group or channel requires constant "riding" the audio gain control so that signals aren't inaudible one moment and deafening the next.

Recently, my Anytone 878's audio suddenly became very soft even at the highest settings of the volume control and the digital 1-8 range in the menus. When I discussed this on another forum, several people mentioned that their radios (several brands and models) had been damaged by excessively loud signals. Blown speakers or audio amp components. And I've seen the same complaint while Google-searching my issue. Enough people have mentioned it that there may be something to it.

Transmit audio AGC might be useful, too. Then OpenGD77 users would not make the too-hot audio problem worse. But it might also introduce problems like amplifying road noise or ambient noise if not adjusted "just right." So I'm on the fence about Tx. But for receive, yes, yes, yes.
You will need to wait until we have managed to release a Stable version.

We can't delay releasing a Stable version by working on something as invasive as audio leveling , (AGC), as it could destabilise the current codebase and delay things even further for the large number of hams who only ever install fully stable versions (not alphas or betas)

KD7MW

Post by KD7MW » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 am

I understand and agree completely. And thank you for all the work you and the other developers are doing. OpenGD77 is really amazing! It makes DMR so much easier than on any other radio.
--Peter