Com port not found

kk7dnf

Re: Release Candidate (2022 02 23)

Post by kk7dnf » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:46 am

I'm having issues loading the firmware on Windows 11. My PC has the serial port setup as a generic serial port, which works fine when I select the port manually for reading/writing the code plug, but when I open the firmware loader and select the .bin file, the window says it cannot connect

I about to move the upgrade process over to my Win10 machine which I'm sure will work fine("OpenGD77" serial port), but wanted to note the issue while it's fresh.

VK3KYY

Com port not found

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:10 am

The com port drivers work fine on Windows 10 and Windows 11, however they do not work on Windows ARM machines.

For machines where the driver does not load the operator must manually select the correct com port when prompted

Note.
Firmware installation is handled by the factory bootloader and is a USB HID device not a com device.

To install the firmware you must put the radio into Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode, by holding in the correct buttons for your specific radio type.

kk7dnf

Re: Com port not found

Post by kk7dnf » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:38 am

VK3KYY, thank you for the info. I updated the GD77 firmware with my windows 10 machine this evening. I did however forget that I needed to use the correct button sequence until I was already on my desktop.

Regarding Windows 11 on ARM;

The CPS does in fact work for both reading/writing codeplugs and updating the firmware. I'm using a Macbook Air M1 with Windows 11 ARM on parallels. The com port installation tool did fail when installing the CPS originally, but the process somehow left me with a generic COM port still when the radio is plugged into the laptop. This is where I was able to read/write codeplugs, but not update the firmware(not the case). Realizing my error from earlier, I used the correct button sequence on the radio to enter bootloader mode and a new HID device showed up in Windows 11(ARM). From there I was able to update using the regular procedure.

Thanks again

KK7DNF

Edit: I see I'm not the first to find this. My search skills are better in hindsight

http://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 61b#p16800

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:13 am

kk7dnf wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:38 am
The CPS does in fact work for both reading/writing codeplugs and updating the firmware. I'm using a Macbook Air M1 with Windows 11 ARM on parallels. The com port installation tool did fail when installing the CPS originally, but the process somehow left me with a generic COM port still when the radio is plugged into the laptop.
I think Windows installs its own generic com drivers when the radio is plugged in, if no driver is already installed.

Like you say, the driver installer will fail for ARM machines, hence you end up with the generic driver.

The driver only really installed to name the radio's Com port, so that the CPS can find the radio without the operator having to work out which generic port the radio has appeared as.

So if there is some clever way to name a generic port on Windows 11 ARM, you could probably get around the problem of having to select the com port.

However, doing a quick search, I did not see any ways to do this.

NA1Q

Post by NA1Q » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:57 am

Hi, I'm having the same issue with a brand new GD77,Software Ver 4.03.08 only running Windows 10 on a HP laptop with the Intel i5 processor. I can download the CPS from Radioddity and the OpenGD77, but can not find the GD77 in the device manager. I also can not find any COM port for the GD77, have the cable plugged in firm in both radio and USB port, radio is in program mode (black screen and green led on)

Been fighting with this for 2 days so far. I'm not a computer expert but can figure most of this out. Any help is appreciated.

73 Matt NA1Q

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:49 am

NA1Q wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:57 am
Hi, I'm having the same issue with a brand new GD77,Software Ver 4.03.08 only running Windows 10 on a HP laptop with the Intel i5 processor. I can download the CPS from Radioddity and the OpenGD77, but can not find the GD77 in the device manager. I also can not find any COM port for the GD77, have the cable plugged in firm in both radio and USB port, radio is in program mode (black screen and green led on)

Been fighting with this for 2 days so far. I'm not a computer expert but can figure most of this out. Any help is appreciated.

73 Matt NA1Q
Did you install the OpenGD77, you won't see a COM port until the firmware is installed.

The bootloader in the GD77 is a HID device, as is the device used by the official firmware to transfer the codeplug.

NA1Q

Post by NA1Q » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:19 am

That's part.of the problem, I can't find the com port to upload the firmware, even in the factory CPS.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:09 am

Hi,

As Roger wrote, you won't see any "Com port" in bootloader mode (SK1+SK2+Power On). It's an HID device.
So, set you GD77 in bootloader mode, use the OpenGD77-CPS sorfware to flash the firmware, restart the transceiver in "normal" mode, then you'll see a Serial Com Port, used for read/write codeplug and various data.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

NA1Q

Post by NA1Q » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:21 pm

The radio is connected to the laptop via the cable and it is not being seen by the computer software. So I can not flash anything, the radio is seen as an HID but there is no communications between the software and the radio.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:40 pm

Sorry, but in the same post you say the transceiver i seen and not seen by the computer.

Which CPS version are you running.
When you turn your transceiver in bootloader mode, does your Windows device manager list that HID device.
When the transceiver is in bootloader mode, the screen remains OFF (or black), and the green led is lit, right ?
Have you tried another USB port on your computer.
Does the jack connector is firmly plugged into your transceiver.