number of TG per zone

AE4ML

number of TG per zone

Post by AE4ML » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 am

Good evening all, I'm still running the factory firmware on my GD77 but I'm getting very frustrated with it. before I think about moving to the openGD77 am I able to get more than the 16 TG per zone ?

I have been trying to find any docs as far as what is in each new firmware release,

Mike AE4ML

VK3KYY

Re: number of TG per zone

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 am

AE4ML wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:15 am
Good evening all, I'm still running the factory firmware on my GD77 but I'm getting very frustrated with it. before I think about moving to the openGD77 am I able to get more than the 16 TG per zone ?

I have been trying to find any docs as far as what is in each new firmware release,

Mike AE4ML
TG's are not related to Zones.

Zones are groups of Channels.

OpenGD77 supports 80 Channels per Zone, but supports less Zones

However, the way the OpenGD77 works you don't use one channel per TG, you define groups of TGs into a TG list and assign that to a single channel

The maximum number of TG's in a TG-List is 32

Also, the radio will receive on all TG's unless you specifically select TG list filtering, and the pressing the Blue button when receiving any TG will set the radio to transmit on that TG.

You can also enter TG numbers manually e.g. #50525

So if you know the numbers you don't even need a list, you can just enter them manually when you want to change TG

AE4ML

Post by AE4ML » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:32 am

VK3KYY,

Thank you and yes I miss typed. I meant channels per zone and not Talkgroups. My other radios dont have the cap of 16 channels per zone. I have my radios setup with single talkgroup per channel and I setup 25 channels per zone with each zone being a repeater. If there is a better way to do it I'm all ears. I don't want to hear all of the other talkgroups.

My only other problem with the stock firmware is with this radio is the lack of clear to talk tone.

Thank you for your response.

Mike AE4ML

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:18 am

Mike,
Your existing setup is how most people have always had to program their DMR radios due to the firmware being primarily aimed at commercial users.

OpenGD77 was designed from the start for amateur use and has many features that make it simpler to organise a codeplug.

The recommended way is just to have one channel for each repeater.
If you know the talkgroup numbers then you don’t need to do any more.

You select the repeater using the up and down arrows, then press the hash key and enter the talkgroup number. Pressing the star key switches timeslot.

If you have talkgroups that you use regularly or if you prefer to remember them by name instead of number you can define a TG list and assign it to the channel. Talkgroups can be assigned to a specific timeslot if required.

Then you can select the repeater using the up and down arrows and the talkgroup using the left and right arrows.

Adding a new repeater becomes as simple as adding a single channel and assigning that channel to a zone.

Because you no longer need a zone for each repeater you can organise zones to contain all repeaters in a given area.

Colin G4EML