OPENGD 77 RAS

S58SMS

OPENGD 77 RAS

Post by S58SMS » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:03 am

Dear All,

i'm wondering if opengd77 seals with RAS - motorola restricted access, linekd to CAP+ system? Can anybody test and confirm this?

I have few ras systems, and would be interesting, if it's possible to listen on the station, not only via dsd+

thank you

VK3KYY

Re: OPENGD 77 RAS

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:36 am

vselic wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:03 am
Dear All,

i'm wondering if opengd77 seals with RAS - motorola restricted access, linekd to CAP+ system? Can anybody test and confirm this?

I have few ras systems, and would be interesting, if it's possible to listen on the station, not only via dsd+

thank you
Encryption is not supported and never will be, because its illegal for Amateur Radio use.

Its also illegal in Australia to write secure encryption software.

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:48 am

Hello,

RAS is not encrpytion. I know any possible way to decrypt things is illegal.

"RAS is not a privacy feature and if voice privacy is a concern, Basic Privacy, Enhanced Privacy, or AES should be used. It is supported in all MOTOTRBO system configurations – Conventional Single Site, IP Site Connect, Capacity Plus, and Linked Capacity Plus.
RAS provides two methods to prevent a subscriber from accessing the system:
- RAS Key Authentication
- Radio ID Range Check"

So it's just ment, you cannot acces to the system, but there is no encryption thing.

All or most of all scanners manage, do decode those system with no problem, the same is with DSD+. So i'm not asking of any decryption, but just about that the radio ignores RAS, and still plays traffic.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:51 am

Its still illegal for Amateur Radio use regardless of whether its technically encryption or not

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:51 am
Its still illegal for Amateur Radio use regardless of whether its technically encryption or not
I think it depends.
We don't know exactly, how is it working.
If it just adds some special info (PDU or something similar) to the otherwise intact DMR stream for checking and conditionally opening the radio's audio path (i.e. just another equivalent of CTCSS, DCS or CC in DMR), we will ignore it, so OpenGD77 user will hear the transmission.
And I believe that OpenGD77 is still fully legal.

But if the feature changes something in the stream to prevent radios with improper setup or missing ability to decode it to sync on it (even if it is not an encryption), I believe it would be illegal to implement it.

But in any case, OpenGD77 will not be able to transmit to such repeaters.

With regards, Pavel

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:31 am

In technical sense, as soon as you do not interact with the system directly, I do not see any illigal activity. You do with the signal, which is in the spectrum, whatever you want. It's just like somebody is yelling on a hill in some garbaged languange, you still hear him and If you find out, what is the system of a talk, you understand him. It's his problem, if you found out the solution, too low secured i would say.
Until you do not interrupt the system, brute force or any activitiy that would effect on the fequency/system etc. I do not see the problem.

If you find on BP Motorola one of the 255 keys - it's encryptor's problem that has so low secured system - Of course it's illegal to share the key with the public or stream it further, but until than, it was your luck, so i do not see the problem, at least in my country.

RAS is even not an encryption anyways, its just (like mention already) like subtone - ... If you find a way to bypass it - just like dsd+ than you can listen. The system could be anyways encrypted further with EP for example.