Sigh... Windows 11 and Apple M1 Mac

W1MVY

Re: Sigh... Windows 11 and Apple M1 Mac

Post by W1MVY » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Understood. Thanks!

n1id

Post by n1id » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:34 pm

Ill be glad to help. I am using a m1 Mac and parallels and windows arm.. It all works with the opengd77. Email me, my email is on orz.. De John N1ID

W1MVY

Post by W1MVY » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:33 pm

Wow! This has been an adventure - as any good radio project should be.

I got my CPS, Firmware and GD77 connected, updated and working, just not using the M1 Mac. Instead, I ended up resurrecting an old, crippled (my wife poured liquid into it) 2013 MacBook Pro that was in a drawer (never get rid of good stuff :) ). The laptop has "quirks" , but seems to work sufficiently.

I went back to basics as one of you suggested.... The working config so far is a 2013 Intel Macbook Pro, Mac Boot Camp, Win 10 Pro.

The Open GD77 CPS and Drivers load fine and I am back up and running. The key (and perhaps obvious) insight is

1, Follow the CPS installation instructions (both CPS and GD77 ".sgi" file directions)
2. Put the GD77 into firmware update mode BEFORE starting the CPS (this makes Win10 identify and load the right driver)
3. Start the CPS and immediately update the firmware.

Once this procedure is done, life is good and everything works fine - I could then read my original codeplug and make modifications.

Now that I have a working example of how everything works I will go back to both the Intel/Virtualbox/Win10 and M1/Parallels/Win11 trials that I did and could not get working and see if I can debug them. If I get them working, I will document how in this topic.

Thanks for all the comments and help offers!

Scott, W1MVY

W1MVY

Post by W1MVY » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:03 pm

FInal update.

I have now gotten the CPS, GD77 Firmware to work on my M1-Max-based Macbook Pro, Parallels and Windows 11.

Summary is as i found with getting everything working with my old Intel-based Macbook Pro, Bootcamp and Windows 10.

The key (and obvious) insight is

1, Follow the CPS installation instructions (both CPS and GD77 ".sgi" file directions)
2. Put the GD77 into firmware update mode BEFORE starting the CPS (this makes Win10 identify and load the right driver)
3. Start the CPS and immediately update the firmware.

Once this procedure is done, life is good and everything works fine. Restating the issue - Match firmware version with CPS, then things work.

Newbie bonehead operational errors. Live and learn.

Thanks for everyone's coaching and help.

73, Scott W1MVY