Larger memory

F1RMB

Re: Larger memory

Post by F1RMB » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:36 am

Per datasheet info, it's industrial grade.
The commands set are looking similar, it supports faster clock rates.

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 am

Well, I didn't realize I needed a chip with a specific ID code. Live and learn I guess.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 am

KI5GZK wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 am
Well, I didn't realize I needed a chip with a specific ID code. Live and learn I guess.
Please sent me an email (I'm unable to find yours on qrz.com).

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 am

Updated CPS with untested support for this 16Mb variant has been put into the last beta folder

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/PublicBeta_20211121/

Support for that chip will also be included into the future beta releases

I think you owe Daniel a beer or two ;-)

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Okay, I've tested the new CPS and everything seems to be working as it should. I can now download the entire DMR ID database to my radio, although it does take a while. ;)

I have noticed an issue with the last heard screen on the radio, but I don't know that it's related to the larger flash chip.
When I go into the display options and change the order of the Ct/DB/TA setting the current last heard list will no longer show.
I can still scroll through the list, but nothing is displaying. If I have voice prompts turned on it will read the current selection, but the entry doesn't show. I have to power cycle the radio to get it working normally again. I don't know if this affects previous version since I can no longer use them with this new flash chip.

Once again, thank you both for your continued support of this amazing firmware.
And you're right, I do owe Daniel. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi,
KI5GZK wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 pm
---snip/snip---
I have noticed an issue with the last heard screen on the radio, but I don't know that it's related to the larger flash chip.
When I go into the display options and change the order of the Ct/DB/TA setting the current last heard list will no longer show.
I can still scroll through the list, but nothing is displaying. If I have voice prompts turned on it will read the current selection, but the entry doesn't show. I have to power cycle the radio to get it working normally again. I don't know if this affects previous version since I can no longer use them with this new flash chip.
---snip/snip---
No, it's not related to the chip, it's a bug in the code I just fixed localy. Thanks for the report ;-)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

KI5GZK

Post by KI5GZK » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:57 am

Excellent work as always! Looking forward to the next release.

Thank you Daniel!

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:43 am

Hi!
Could anybody who did this mod post the photo ? I would like to decide, whether to risk doing it. My soldering skills are more trained on classic electronics than on really tiny SMD. On the other side, I have a relatively good Weller station with perfect temperature regulation, and with relatively small soldering tip, so I believe that it can be used for it.
With regards / 73,
Pavel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi Pavel,
ok1pt wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:43 am
Hi!
Could anybody who did this mod post the photo ? I would like to decide, whether to risk doing it. My soldering skills are more trained on classic electronics than on really tiny SMD. On the other side, I have a relatively good Weller station with perfect temperature regulation, and with relatively small soldering tip, so I believe that it can be used for it.
With regards / 73,
Pavel
Well, it's easier to desolder SMD components with a hot air station, and quite mandatory with multipins packages.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Attachments
FlashInstalled.png
FlashInstalled.png (50.99 KiB) Viewed 4796 times

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 pm
Hi Pavel,

Well, it's easier to desolder SMD components with a hot air station, and quite mandatory with multipins packages.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Hi Daniel,
thank you for the photo. It looks doable :-). I use a "desoldering wire" for removing most of the solder and then I obviously use a sharp needle (old medical injection needle with very sharp top) to carefully separate individual pins from the PCB (of course when heating them by the soldering iron simultaneously). It's relatively easy and the removed IC even remains usable after the pins are bent back to their correct positions :-). After cleaning the operation field, soldering a new IC to the place is relatively easy.
So, I'm going to order the flash ICs :-).
WIth regards,
Pavel