Larger memory

VK3KYY

Re: Larger memory

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:43 pm

Sometimes it is better to cut the legs off the chip, and then desolder them individual.

One board I even had to use a Dremmel with a mini cutting disk to cut the legs on a large SMD chip

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:43 pm
Sometimes it is better to cut the legs off the chip, and then desolder them individual.

One board I even had to use a Dremmel with a mini cutting disk to cut the legs on a large SMD chip
Honestly this is how I do legged SMT parts too, just clip each leg and clean up and then replace it. I don't have a hot air knife or sufficient hot air here to lift such a part reliably and safely.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:54 pm

kt4lh wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:50 pm
Honestly this is how I do legged SMT parts too, just clip each leg and clean up and then replace it. I don't have a hot air knife or sufficient hot air here to lift such a part reliably and safely.
I totally agree.

I do have a small hot air tool, but in the past I've tried to remove chips using it, and if one of the pins doesn't get completely unsoldered, you end up pulling the track away from the PCB, because the quality of some PCB's seems quite low.

Hence why I prefer to try clipping the legs if that can be done safely