GD77 cable detected as USB input device.

VE3SSR

GD77 cable detected as USB input device.

Post by VE3SSR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm

The cable is not detected as a COM Port.
Tried on different PCs under CPS and separate driver installer.
Do appreciate any suggestion.
Gene, VE3SSR

oh1fss

Re: GD77 cable detected as USB input device.

Post by oh1fss » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Actually, the cable is just wires, all of the USB electronics is in the radio. So I guess you mean that your radio is detected as a USB input device. That is the correct behaviour in firmware upgrade mode, the radio appears as a HID (human interface device).

But if you power on the radio normally and connect it to a PC, then it will appear as a COM device and you can upload/download codeplugs etc.

If this does not answer your question, please tell your radio type and PC operating system (Windows 10?) and what you are going to do with the connection. And OpenGD77 firmware version and CPS version may be needed as well, depending on what you want to do.

VE3SSR

Re: GD77 cable detected as USB input device.

Post by VE3SSR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 pm

The radio is GD-77 with original firmware and cable. I am trying to download the OpenGD77 firmware radio does not appear as a COM device when it is not in firmware upgrade mode. Running Windows 10 Home.
VE3SSR

VE3SSR

Re: GD77 cable detected as USB input device. SOLVED

Post by VE3SSR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Solved!
I believed that the radio should be detected as a COM Port to be able to download the Open firmware. With original firmware it was always detected as an USB input device which, however, did not prevent downloading the Open firmware bin. After download it is detected as OpenGD77 (COM3).
Thanks for the support.
Gene, VE3SSR