RD5R display problem

BA7LWX

Re: RD5R display problem

Post by BA7LWX » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 am

Thx for your explanation,I'll try it after work.Although such a problem happened on a 48h new radio,I love my RD5R always.

May SOMETIMES is just tonight.
ok1pt wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 am
Hi!
It's for 99.9% a hardware problem. You can see that all the pixels on the affected line are brighter than the pixels on the other lines - it means that this line lost contact with the driver chip.
There is a small, but still non-zero probability, that the following trick can fix it.
Use the software to set maximum contrast. Really go to max, making the display totally dark (it will be almost unreadable). Look at the missing line. Sometimes it will "catch" and go dark as well, sometimes it will stay white. The trick is that increasing the contrast increases the AC voltages on the display and in some cases the increased voltage can break through the insulation, which broke the line. If this doesn't help immediately, keep it for some time (say for a hour) and try to heat the radio a bit - for example, put it to the sunny place or something like that. You can also transmit on the high power but keep your battery charged :-).
If it will not help, sorry, it's relatively probable, but trying this costs you nothing and it can really help... *sometimes*...

EDIT: Before changing the contrast, you can use the software to invert the display, so most pixels in the line will be set dark - it will increase the voltages (after increasing contrast) even more.

With regards / 73,
Pavel