Displaying filter status

ok1pt

Displaying filter status

Post by ok1pt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi there!
I would like to ask, why displaying the DMR filtering status is inverted in comparison with the remaining filters, because:
- When the TS filter is OFF, the TS number on the display is inverted.
- When the CC filter is OFF, the CC number on the display is inverted.
- When the DMR filter is "None", which means OFF, the DMR symbol is NOT inverted, and when any of the filter modes is selected, which means that the filter is ON, the DMR symbol IS inverted.
I feel it very, very confusing. Is there any deep idea behind this behaviour, or is it just a bug ?
With regards & 73,
Pavel

VK3KYY

Re: Displaying filter status

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 pm

ok1pt wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 pm
Hi there!
I would like to ask, why displaying the DMR filtering status is inverted in comparison with the remaining filters, because:
- When the TS filter is OFF, the TS number on the display is inverted.
- When the CC filter is OFF, the CC number on the display is inverted.
- When the DMR filter is "None", which means OFF, the DMR symbol is NOT inverted, and when any of the filter modes is selected, which means that the filter is ON, the DMR symbol IS inverted.
I feel it very, very confusing. Is there any deep idea behind this behaviour, or is it just a bug ?
With regards & 73,
Pavel
Because inverse video represents abnormal configuration, Not On / Off

As has been posted many times. CC filter should not be disabled for normal use. The hardware does not actually support reception without setting a CC.
When CC filter is disabled, what the firmware actually does is constantly change the CC for each DMR frame until a match is found.
But this functionality is described as CC filter because the overall effect is eventually the radio will be able to receive a signal even though the CC is not known to the operator

TS filter is similer, we originaly tried setting the C000 to receive on both TS, but recently we had to change this, because it causes errors.
So the TS filter now uses a similar software algorithm to the CC " filter " disable.

I will check the User Guide, because people constantly use CC filter disabled, but this should Not normally be used

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 pm

I checked the User Guide and it is not documented that CC filter or even TS filter is OK for normal use

But it has been discussed many times on the forum

I will update the User Guide

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 pm

Because inverse video represents abnormal configuration, Not On / Off
Hi Roger,
so, now I can understand the logic behind the inversion of the symbols and its OK.
I know that disabling CC is not good for general use, I was also the one I asked, why it causes strange sounds before the reception is established. However, it's a new info for me that disabling TS is based on the same principle. I am using it regularly, as it doesn't make any visible/audible problems.
Thank you for the explanation and for the continuous care of this perfect software!
With regards &73,
Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Disabling TS filter is less problem than disabling CC

I use the TS filter disable, but the operation of the Rx is sometimes slower

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 pm

Of course disabling TS filtering will lead to some weird audio when both timeslots are actually in use, so keep that in mind on a busy repeater. Sometimes it's not even obvious.... TS1 will go idle, TS2 picks up, back and forth, and you're casually listening and trying to figure out why there are random people chatting but not to each other ;) Ask me how I know..

But that said, I generally have TS and TG filtering off on both my radios. If something gets chattery I'll change settings.

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 am

kt4lh wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 pm
Of course disabling TS filtering will lead to some weird audio when both timeslots are actually in use, so keep that in mind on a busy repeater. Sometimes it's not even obvious.... TS1 will go idle, TS2 picks up, back and forth, and you're casually listening and trying to figure out why there are random people chatting but not to each other ;) Ask me how I know..

But that said, I generally have TS and TG filtering off on both my radios. If something gets chattery I'll change settings.
Hi!
Of course, this behaviour is absolutely logical and when such a mix comes from my radio, it's time to switch the filter on and select the TS which looks more interesting to listen. A similar problem occurs on hotspots, where you have more TGs subscribed from BM and there is an activity on more than one of them :-).
With regards / 73,
Pavel