Recent versions of firmware will be removed

F1RMB

Re: Recent versions of firmware will be removed

Post by F1RMB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:57 pm

What in the hell the word "Copyright" is doing here ?!
GPLv2/3 are Copyleft.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:54 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 am

Now this project will be sold commercially.

I'm certainly not going to work for free on this project while some companies make money by selling their "modified" version e.g. with encryption.

I have no incentive to add any new features to give away.

I doubt you will find that anyone will now spend a long time writing complex new features like SFR or SMS.
Thinking out of the box here. I don't think the license disallows you from monetizing from other means like consultancy, subscription to a premium forum, tutorials, etc. This is what companies like RedHat are built upon.

Freedom here means freedom to redistribute and modify and not necessarily being free as in you cannot earn from it.

Unless I am mistaken and have missed something.

I would be glad to pay a subscription to the forum for example, and I think many other users would be glad to contribute somehow. Just not directly as a "purchase" of the software but rather a parallel activity like learning something about openGD77 or being part of a premium community.

Now if a company or other person were to sell it bundled with a radios then the fault is on them. They will be the ones in violation. Or- they should also share access to the source and allow such freedom for their end users.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:36 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:57 pm
What in the hell the word "Copyright" is doing here ?!
GPLv2/3 are Copyleft.
From https://www.gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html
Copyleft is a way of using the copyright on the program. It doesn't mean abandoning the copyright; in fact, doing so would make copyleft impossible. The “left” in “copyleft” is not a reference to the verb “to leave”—only to the direction which is the mirror image of “right”.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks, but I did already know.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm
Thanks, but I did already know.
Ah! Okay. I took you at your word. I generally assume people mean what they say. This is not the first time I've been wrong.

EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Ah! Okay. I took you at your word. I generally assume people mean what they say. This is not the first time I've been wrong.
Yep, we ALL know it isn't first time...

Any new comments about "OpenGD"??

When shall we spect for your global talk to users??

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:32 pm

EA3BIL wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am
Yep, we ALL know it isn't first time...
For sure! I definitely took the license to mean what it says.
EA3BIL wrote:
Any new comments about "OpenGD"??
I drafted a comment about the CPS, but I had decided not to post it.
EA3BIL wrote:
When shall we spect for your global talk to users??
No plans for any global talk.

Yes, I realize you're being sarcástico. I wish you'd stop. You're one of only two people I see on this forum who think the right reaction to what's happened is to be mean to someone. Roger, for example, has been extremely civil about the whole thing.

Speaking of which, Roger, I genuinely admire how politely you've handled my request. And while I'm sad that you've decided also to end the project, I understand your reasons for it and I'm sorry that my request added to your stress. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:42 pm

KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:32 pm
You're one of only two people I see on this forum who think the right reaction to what's happened is to be mean to someone.
Oh... You don't know how wrong you are... I would like to say so many vulgar things to you, but I'm too polite for that.

I'll just state my opinion, as freedom of speech allows me to do that: I think that you are small malicious person, unhappy with your insignificant life, that finds joy in destroying others' good things you stumble upon in your boring life.

I wish you to find happiness building something great, instead of destroying.

Cheers!

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm

YT5HOK wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:42 pm
KC7RBW wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:32 pm
You're one of only two people I see on this forum who think the right reaction to what's happened is to be mean to someone.
Oh... You don't know how wrong you are... I would like to say so many vulgar things to you, but I'm too polite for that.

I'll just state my opinion, as freedom of speech allows me to do that: I think that you are small malicious person, unhappy with your insignificant life, that finds joy in destroying others' good things you stumble upon in your boring life.

I wish you to find happiness building something great, instead of destroying.

Cheers!
Hi!
I obviously don't react on such posts, also because I'm not sure that my English sentences are correctly formed and can't make a harm by improper wording. But sorry, I have to react here. Just to say, that from my point of view, KC7RBW didn't _want_ to destroy anything. He just wanted to rectify things, which were not in a good shape for a relatively long time. There were new releases, but in binary only, and the people who wanted to contribute on the development or just make some changes for personal use, were not allowed to participate, except a small number of people around Roger. Please believe me, that it's rather frustrating for such people. You know that KC7RBW added the DCS implemenation to the project, so you have the evidence that he was helping, not destroying. So, he just wanted to fix this problem. Politely, with detailed explanation, correctly. It's something like trying to strenghten a bent shaft in a machine: The machine still works, but with a lot of problems. And if you want to fix it, there is a risk that the shaft will break during the process, and the machine will stop. But you don't want to break it - you just want to fix it and hope that it will work as before, when the shaft was not bent yet :-).
WIth regards & 73,
Pavel

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:11 pm

ok1pt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm
Hi!
I obviously don't react on such posts, also because I'm not sure that my English sentences are correctly formed and can't make a harm by improper wording. But sorry, I have to react here. Just to say, that from my point of view, KC7RBW didn't _want_ to destroy anything. He just wanted to rectify things, which were not in a good shape for a relatively long time. There were new releases, but in binary only, and the people who wanted to contribute on the development or just make some changes for personal use, were not allowed to participate, except a small number of people around Roger. Please believe me, that it's rather frustrating for such people. You know that KC7RBW added the DCS implemenation to the project, so you have the evidence that he was helping, not destroying. So, he just wanted to fix this problem. Politely, with detailed explanation, correctly. It's something like trying to strenghten a bent shaft in a machine: The machine still works, but with a lot of problems. And if you want to fix it, there is a risk that the shaft will break during the process, and the machine will stop. But you don't want to break it - you just want to fix it and hope that it will work as before, when the shaft was not bent yet :-).
WIth regards & 73,
Pavel
I absolutely see your point and respect your opinion, but however the project is dead now. Developers lost interest.

Similar things happen here... and everywhere... I guess... People just want to ruin new, experimental stuff, that is usually in grey area of legality.

Wasn't amateur radio always ahead of it's time...? Pushing limits...? (Rhetorical questions)

No one cared that we (amateur radio operators) use those copyrighted parts of stock firmware. Manufacturer had more sales caused by popularity of their transceiver which is caused by OpenGD77. Everyone was happy and kept quiet. We had something great. Then one of us (I would rather say he is not one of us, but unfortunately he is) started all this. And now we don't have something great anymore.

I have seen this more then once... Well, life goes on... Good things don't last forever...

Cheers mate!