[Not possible] Is the GD77 hardware capable of analog cross band repeater function?

AI7FL

[Not possible] Is the GD77 hardware capable of analog cross band repeater function?

Post by AI7FL » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 pm

The sticked post above makes it sound like cross time slot repeat may not be doable without at least some other ground work. But what about analog cross band?

If the hardware supports it, here's my wishlist:

Cross band repeater function with selectable one-way and two-way modes for both adhoc repeater and repeater extender functionality.

Repeat memory channels not just VFO. The cross band capable HTs on the market seem to only repeat VFO channels, and in the case of the Retivis RT23 and TYT UV8000D this eliminates the ability to input a repeater offset and tone to talk to other repeaters with it. You can only do simplex to simplex repeating. No simplex to repeater.

Attached to repeating memory channels, greater DTMF command capability would be awesome. Being able to attach a DTMF code to different memory channels to be able to change the channel that the cross bander is repeating to by sending the correct DTMF code to it is be something I haven't seen any other cross bander do.

With this, I could leave the radio connected to the antenna on the roof of my house on the hill. and use my HT to talk through it to the local repeaters from the walking trail in the valley below. And not just access the one repeater I had it set to when I left the house, but be able to switch which repeaters by sending the DTMF code to switch channels.

F1RMB

Re: Is the GD77 hardware capable of analog cross band repeater function?

Post by F1RMB » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi,

:D

You forgot:
  • UI control by mind reading.
;)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 pm

The GD77 has a single receiver and I've never seen a radio that'll do cross-band with a single receiver, even though I suppose it could be done.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm

There is only one transceiver chip and it can’t transmit and receive at the same time so crossband repeat is impossible.

AI7FL

Post by AI7FL » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:18 pm

Lame. Well, I guess patching two radios together is my next experiment. Haha