Possible memory upgrade for the GD-77?

KG2L

Possible memory upgrade for the GD-77?

Post by KG2L » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:13 pm

Brand new to the GD-77 and starting to learn it. So please bear with the potential noob questions....

Where is the DMR ID's/contacts stored? I'm assuming they are stored in the 1 MB Winbond flash chip. Correct?

If so, could the Winbond chip be replaced with, lets say, an 8MB chip and allow for far more ID's to be stored (entire contact database).

I know this would require several steps such as replacing & copying the flash chip. And firmware/software changes to support the extra memory.
Also assuming an electronically compatible chip is available. I'll be experimenting with that soon.
BTW pricing on such chips are < $3. So it is a cheap upgrade if it's feasible.

I imagine the extra memory could be but to good use in other ways as well.

Thoughts?

- George, KG2L

VK3KYY

Re: Possible memory upgrade for the GD-77?

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:32 pm

The larger chips have a different footprint

It is possible to bend the pins on the larger chip to so they can be soldered to make a connection, but its not something 99.9% of GD-77 owners would want to do, or be able to do.

Hence making the changes to both the firmware and the CPS to support larger chips is not high on the To Do list.

It is on the "issues" list on github,but at the last count there were 52 other things on the list including bugs

Also the DMR ID database is only needed for DMR MARC, because Brandmiester and possible other networks send the campaign and name etc in the Talker Alias datra.

KG2L

Re: Possible memory upgrade for the GD-77?

Post by KG2L » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:12 am

Thanks for the insights!

- George, KG2L