Voice prompts

VK3KYY

Re: Voice prompts

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:15 pm

OK1TE wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:11 pm
Just to mention that Roger Clark VK3KYY has been nominated for the ARRL Technical Innovation Award for what he and his group has done for the blind amateur radio community regarding the GD77.

We are grateful in deed. It's just a pity when such a big effort is then de-valuated by flaws like the one discussed here.
I don't accept awards

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Daniel,

I use vp level 3 as do many advanced users like myself. You can't hear channel names arrowing rapidly in any other level. I am not being impatient, I merely wanted a simple acknowledgement that it would be fixed. I reported this back in December on Github when the initial firmware came out with this change. I heard nothing until your two somewhat rude replies. I wish you'd stop treating me like a blind moron. I've already told you, I have been a software engineer for more than 30 years, in the assistive technology industry helping blind folk for more than 35, and totally blind myself, and know what is and what is not a good user experience. I have dozens of blind folk write to me off list who can't use the forum who I try and go into bat for. all I ask for is an acknowledgement and commitment to address the issues we raise in due course. Again, I've also offered my services to help fix such "trivial" matters but you and Roger constantly ignore me.
In your last message you said that "again" the change might be made, but you never said that in the first place, you said it wasn't a priority and there was no commitment to change the behaviour as it wasn't a bug. Now that you've kind of agreed to change it by saying it might be changed, great. I hope you see that it is indeed like releasing a version of the firmware which took a second to update the screen and in the meantime showed you other info that was less important.
I hate pressing points like this, I just wish there'd be a bit of polite acknowledgement that just because it isn't an issue for you, it might be a show stopper for many many others.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:56 am

Joseph,

I leave the responsibility for your words and their consequences to you. You try to put words in people's mouth, to present yourself as the victim of a conspiracy.

Sorry, that doesn't work with me. All you're going to win in the end is a ban, I have no time to waste with that kind of behavior.

As for that obsession about the number of years of programming experience that you have, an argument that you use and abuse a little too often IMHO, I really don't care.
All I care is the quality and performance of the code, and it wasn't good for integration; ignoring comments and tips. In the end, it was necessary to fix or even completely rewrite what you had submitted.

About the "again", I suggest you to double check, the first "request" is present in the thread.

"I wish you'd stop treating me like a blind moron"
Never try again to use that kind of argument with me, ever. Consider yourself as warned.

Thank you.
---
Daniel

VE3RWJ

Post by VE3RWJ » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

To vk7js:
I appreciate what you do for hams who are blind, but you do not represent me. While I agree with you that hearing "mode mode mode" is very annoying, please remember that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. Piss off the primary developers, and they will be less inclined to give a toss about anything you say going forward. You're a programmer. Congratulations. Good for you.

And Roger, if you choose not to accept awards, for privacy or modesty or other reasons, that is entirely your prerogative and please ignore the whiners.

The family of radios which can run OpenGD77 are the most accessible HT's on the market, thanks to what Roger and Daniel achieved, so much so that Yaesu and Icom should be embarrassed by their lack of effort here for hams who are blind. Believe me, the vast majority of us out here are very grateful.