Changes to default setting values

VK3KYY

Changes to default setting values

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 pm

I'd like to change some of the default setting values.

Specifically, the Beep volume, and Timeout beep

The Beep volume should be either -3dB, or -6dB (or perhaps lower)
The Timeout beep should probably be set to 10 seconds

Although I know most people probably change the display backlight timeout to 5 or 10 seconds, I think I will need to leave this at No timeout, because after initial installation, I know some people have difficulty reading the display, so its best if the backlight is not turned off.

Possibly Eco level could be changed to default to Level 2, as this would be a comparable level of power saving, to the official firmware which has Power Saving enabled by default.
However this is a very new feature and still under active development, so it may need some time to stabilise before the optimum value can be established.

There may be other non-optimal default settings, but these are the ones I'm constantly having to change on my radio.

OK1TE

Re: Changes to default setting values

Post by OK1TE » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Yes, thanks, I agree, I change them too to:
- Beep volume = -3 (-6 is still OK)
- Timeout beep = 10 s

I also lower the Squelch levels to 25, but thats environment specific, I know.
And increasing the FM gain...

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 pm

Seems sane to me, I almost always set my beeps to -9 when it's on my desk, if i were somewhere noisy I might set it to a louder setting.

Timeout I never set on this radio for some reason, I usually set it to 1 minute on most radios but looks like I've never set it on any channels, I should do that. I assume no timeout defined, the timeout timer would not matter.

As for backlight, I still prefer a 5% backlight when 'off' but I'm getting more used to that being off to save battery life, I wonder how much power that 5% uses. Do the other power savings still have effect? Likely more than offset by the backlight being on, but just curious if you know offhand.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

kt4lh wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 pm
Seems sane to me, I almost always set my beeps to -9 when it's on my desk, if i were somewhere noisy I might set it to a louder setting.

Timeout I never set on this radio for some reason, I usually set it to 1 minute on most radios but looks like I've never set it on any channels, I should do that. I assume no timeout defined, the timeout timer would not matter.

As for backlight, I still prefer a 5% backlight when 'off' but I'm getting more used to that being off to save battery life, I wonder how much power that 5% uses. Do the other power savings still have effect? Likely more than offset by the backlight being on, but just curious if you know offhand.
Timeout beep is not the TOT its the warning beeps when TOT is set, which warns that you are about to timeout.
You should give then a try. 10 secs warming is usually enough to finish yiuor Over etc before you timeout

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm
Timeout beep is not the TOT its the warning beeps when TOT is set, which warns that you are about to timeout.
You should give then a try. 10 secs warming is usually enough to finish yiuor Over etc before you timeout
Yep, sorry, I was unclear there. I was saying I haven't ever set ToT on this radio, the ToT Beep makes sense to warn you it's coming up vs most radios just cutting off at the time. :) Next time I go into the CPS I might have a go at setting ToT if for nothing other than calling CQ with my butt.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:14 pm

kt4lh wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:54 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm
Yep, sorry, I was unclear there. I was saying I haven't ever set ToT on this radio, the ToT Beep makes sense to warn you it's coming up vs most radios just cutting off at the time. :) Next time I go into the CPS I might have a go at setting ToT if for nothing other than calling CQ with my butt.
If you don't have TOT set, then the Timeout value will not be used, so I think we are safe to set it to 10 or 15 seconds.

I'm not sure how many people use the Timeout beep, but I find it really handy and it stops me timing out etc.