TX Beep and Buttons

K2ELI

TX Beep and Buttons

Post by K2ELI » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:48 pm

New here and really like the OpenGD77 FW! I've searched and don't see anything on these questions I have:
-Glad the TX Admit Beep works, since it's doesn't very well on the stock FW, but wondering if there is a way to delay it just a tad more when you key-up? It's lightning-fast right when you press the PTT button so to keep people from talking too quickly, a one second delay would be great.
-Is there a way to custom program the buttons? I don't see it in the OpenGD77 CPS.
Thank you and stay safe!
Eli
K2ELI

VK3KYY

Re: TX Beep and Buttons

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:06 pm

It would be impossible for the radio to enforce the appropriate delay for the many circumstances when people transmit.

Its up to each operator to leave the appropriate gap.

Buttons on the side of the radio and the top, can not be user defined as they are integral to the User Interface.

Number keys can be defined using SK2 + Number to define and the same combination to action the operation.

Long press of Sk2 + Number clears the definition.

You have to clear a definition before it is reassigned

K2ELI

Post by K2ELI » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Understand and thanks for the reply. I'm just glad the TX beep works compared to the stock FW.
Eli
K2ELI

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 pm

K2ELI wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:55 pm
Understand and thanks for the reply. I'm just glad the TX beep works compared to the stock FW.
Eli
K2ELI
The beep isn't strictly a Admit Beep, its just a beep to indicate that if the repeater was not awake before you started to transmit, that it had been successfully woken up etc.

If the repeater is already transmitting, then the radio will lock onto the DMR data, and you'd be able to transmit regardless of whether someone else was already transmitting.

The firmware does not check whether the repeater is free of other traffic at the time you transmit, as there is no documentation for the chips in the radio about how to do this.

K2ELI

Post by K2ELI » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 am

I like the TX beep when I program DMR radios since the hams with the "rocket mic" talk right away and we miss the first word or syllable. The beep causes them to wait. Thank you for the replies!