Questions about Talkgroups and best practices

KM5GN

Questions about Talkgroups and best practices

Post by KM5GN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:18 am

I'm looking for some guidance in the best way to build codeplugs.

As I understand it, TimeSlot assignment is at the Channel (or repeater) level. But in fact, timeslots seem to be more related to talkgroups. My local repeater has some Talkgroups assigned to one TimeSlot and others to the second. I don't see how to set that up. If the timeslot was at the Talkgroup level, it would be easy. What is the correct way to set this up when one repeater has two sets of talkgroups on two timeslots?

ok1pt

Re: Questions about Talkgroups and best practices

Post by ok1pt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:33 am

KM5GN wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:18 am
I'm looking for some guidance in the best way to build codeplugs.

As I understand it, TimeSlot assignment is at the Channel (or repeater) level. But in fact, timeslots seem to be more related to talkgroups. My local repeater has some Talkgroups assigned to one TimeSlot and others to the second. I don't see how to set that up. If the timeslot was at the Talkgroup level, it would be easy. What is the correct way to set this up when one repeater has two sets of talkgroups on two timeslots?
Hi!
Answering this question is not easy at all! It depends on the local arrangement of TGs and it may be totally different depending on the country, user group, or even individual repeater.
For example, here in Czech Republic, we have a "CQ" TG 230, permanently linked on TS1 of all the repeaters. So everybody who transmits there is broadcasted on TS1 of all the repeaters country-wide (including Slovak republic). So, using this TG on TS2 is not recommended, as it would bring the same contents to both TSs of the particular repeater, which is useless. On the other side, we have "Chat" TG 23010, which is recommended to be permanently linked on TS2 of all the repeaters country-wide. So if you want to chat with somebody for a longer time, it's good to switch to this TG from 230 including switching to TS2. And if you don't want to block this country-wide TG, you can use a TG of every repeater in the country (they are numbered as 230xxx). This TG is permanently linked on TS2 only on its own repeater and it can be linked dynamically from other repeaters as well. You can do it on both TS1 and TS2, but using TS2 is recommended to avoid blocking TS1, keeping it open for the CQ calls.
But your local arrangement may be totally different. It's neccessary to contact somebody from your local community or read it from its web pages to learn the rules recommended for your network.
WIth regards, Pavel OK1PT

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm

There's no real way to answer this; it's really up to each repeater. Some repeaters may have a few static talkgroups assigned to TG1, a few assigned to TG2, and that's it. Some may have statics on 1, dynamics on 2, some it might be opposite.

Honestly the only way to know is have some sort of cheat sheet for each repeater. You can set the TS per channel I think, but that gets back into creating channels for every repeater/talkgroup combo.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:07 pm

The OpenGD77 CPS allows you to optionally define the timeslot for each talkgroup. This is one of the amateur friendly enhancements.
When you enter the talkgroup in the Digital Contacts screen you can select the Channel TS Override to 'Disabled', TS1 or TS2.
Disabled means that it will use whatever timeslot is defined for the channel. TS1 or TS2 means that it will automatically switch to that timeslot.

A talkgroup that can be used on either timeslot would therefore be set to disabled.
A talkgroup that should only be used on one timeslot would be set to that timeslot.

If you need to you can also define a talkgroup twice, one set to TS1 and the other set to TS2. In this case it would make sense to include the TS as part of the talkgroup name.

If you have different timeslot requirements for different repeaters then you can have a different TG List for each containing the necessary talkgroups.

None of these features prevents you from manually changing the timeslot using the * key.

KM5GN

Post by KM5GN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sorry I missed it.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pm

KM5GN wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sorry I missed it.
Be aware, that it can get confusing if you assign a TS to a TG, and then Manually override the TS by pressing the Star key.

If you have changed TS by pressing Star and change to another TG that has a TS override, the radio will change to that TS.

However, if you change to a TG that does not have a TS, then the TS changes to the last value set by the Star key override.
i.e This manual override (Star key), still overrides the TS for the Channel.

To completely clear the TS override, enabled by pressing Star, you need to press and hold the Star key.

At least to start with, I'd recommend you go into the Display Options, and enable "Info" to level 3.

This will change the font and text of the TS to show when the radio is using a TS from a TG.
It will also show when a Channel is overriding the Master power value.