CTCSS / DCS scanning

KI5GZK

CTCSS / DCS scanning

Post by KI5GZK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am

Perhaps it would be better if CTCSS and DCS scanning would pause when there is no signal and then resume when the signal returns.
I believe some other radios operate this way.

VK3KYY

Re: CTCSS / DCS scanning

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm

KI5GZK wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am
Perhaps it would be better if CTCSS and DCS scanning would pause when there is no signal and then resume when the signal returns.
Yes, this would be an possibility. But on noisy signals it can take several passes to detect the tone, and we already have bug reported that the tone is not detected, and not scanning until a tone is detected would compound that bug report.

The assumption in the operation of the tone scan is that the operator believes the signal has a tone on it, probably because the signal is from a repeater which the operator is unable to access because the repeater requires a Tx tone.

Is there another use for the tone scan ?

KI5GZK

Re: CTCSS / DCS scanning

Post by KI5GZK » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:06 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm
KI5GZK wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am
Yes, this would be an possibility. But on noisy signals it can take several passes to detect the tone, and we already have bug reported that the tone is not detected, and not scanning until a tone is detected would compound that bug report.

The assumption in the operation of the tone scan is that the operator believes the signal has a tone on it, probably because the signal is from a repeater which the operator is unable to access because the repeater requires a Tx tone.

Is there another use for the tone scan ?
Just to clear things up a bit, when I said signal I was referring to the carrier, not the tone itself. So what I meant is to pause the scan when there is no carrier, and then resume when the carrier returns. I don't know if this could be the cause of the bug reports, but some repeaters filter out the tone on the output. I have one like that near me.

When I scan for a tone it usually works although it may be off a little and stop on an adjacent tone instead of the exact one.

My thinking on this is that quite often the transmission doesn't last long enough to scan through all the tones, so if it picks up where it left off when the transmission resumes, it could potentially be faster at finding the correct tone.