GD77S Persistent State

N4NQY

GD77S Persistent State

Post by N4NQY » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:25 pm

The GD-77S has turned out to be an almost perfect Mobile Radio for cars with big consoles. With a remote speaker microphone, It is small enough to fit anywhere ( I attach mine via 3M Command strips to the side of the console). 16 channels is enough around town. The Audio enunciation feature provides operation with just two knobs, without a screen. Now my question.

I have searched, but not been able to find, how I can make the SK1 and SK2 settings persistent between Power-On and off. It may not be possible, but the one operational problem I am trying to solve is that I would like the default operational mode of the radio to be SCAN when I turn it on. Pressing the yellow button, then the SK to turn SCAN on is cumbersome and time consuming. its tough to press the top yellow button by feel.

Anyone have a solution or can point me to a solution?

jb N4NQY

VK3KYY

Re: GD77S Persistent State

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:14 pm

AFIK, it should be remembering the channel and TS and power etc

If its not, then its a bug.

Ah... Unless you are not turning the radio off via the power knob.

If you just turn off the power, then the settings won't be saved, because they are saved by the act of turning off the power.

Saving all the settings every time you make any change, is not normal operation on any of the radios, except the RD-5R, which is doesn't have any power supply power management.

You'll find most radios won't have saved anything if you remove the battery, as the changes are cached in RAM, and only saved when the device is turned off.

N4NQY

Post by N4NQY » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:30 am

Some of that makes sense, but the only piece of information I care about is whether SCAN was on or off.

The radio has only one Zone programed and 16 channels. The channel knob determines the channel, TG, Color, Slot, etc. It is a manual switch, I know it is coming back there every time. The radio works off the ignition switch. I guess I could try manually turning it off, but that make operation worse in my case. It may be worth it if the SCAN state is saved by powering off via the knob. I will try it.

Another possible solution is a one-key SCAN button, like long press of SK1, but the OpenGD-77 CPS does not allow programming of the buttons.

Programming wise a one bit flag would be enough to store the SCN-OFF or On, but of course checking the bit and beginning the SCAN take precious memory.

I was hoping that a solution already existed.

Thanks

jb N4NQY

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 am

N4NQY wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:30 am
Some of that makes sense, but the only piece of information I care about is whether SCAN was on or off.

The radio has only one Zone programed and 16 channels. The channel knob determines the channel, TG, Color, Slot, etc. It is a manual switch, I know it is coming back there every time. The radio works off the ignition switch. I guess I could try manually turning it off, but that make operation worse in my case. It may be worth it if the SCAN state is saved by powering off via the knob. I will try it.

Another possible solution is a one-key SCAN button, like long press of SK1, but the OpenGD-77 CPS does not allow programming of the buttons.

Programming wise a one bit flag would be enough to store the SCN-OFF or On, but of course checking the bit and beginning the SCAN take precious memory.

I was hoping that a solution already existed.

Thanks

jb N4NQY
Its not practical for the firmware to cater for individual users requirements.

You can always compile it yourself and add in what ever defaults you like.

The code for the last stable version is on github.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/OpenGD77

Build instructions are in the Wiki

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... evelopment

N4NQY

Post by N4NQY » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Thank you. I have no desire to fork the code or campaign for a change that only applies to me. After programming for most of my life, I don't need the challenge. Ok, I might look at the code. Sorry if I came across as a "me too" type of ham. I posted solely to see if others had a similar need and found a solution that worked. I did not even see it as a Feature request.

I have not yet tested the solution of turning the radio off by the knob before cutting the power to the vehicle to see if the state is stored and that seems like a reasonable workaround.

Thank you for your response. Thanks for the all the work. I have Motorola and Hytera radios, as well as a collection of TYT, Connect Systems, etc. I sold my first GD-77 because the software simply had too many flaws. I guess I am a "junkie". Try them all. With OpenGD, it works and there are a number of features that I like very much and as my original post said, the 77S is almost the perfect mobile radio for a car with no room. No screen is a plus. Everything I need is covered by the Voice announcements and 5w will do fine around town. I do admit to missing the "voice leveling" of the Moto.

Again thanks. I give every beta a workout and look forward to every feature. I am a fan not complainer.

73 jb N4NQY

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:37 pm

OK

Its not that hard to build etc, but there is a lot of code to trawl though to find whatever you want to change.

I don't know the total number of lines of code, but its going to in the tens of thousands

N4NQY

Post by N4NQY » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am

Yep, I spent most of my adult like changing other peoples code. :)

I did look and think I sorta got an idea of how to do it , but again, it would be a fork and then I have to keep it up to date unless it were merged in and as you said, ita a one-off.

thanks fir the conversation. I really appreciate the work and recognize the work it takes.

73 jb N4NQY

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:17 am

N4NQY wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am
Yep, I spent most of my adult like changing other peoples code. :)

I did look and think I sorta got an idea of how to do it , but again, it would be a fork and then I have to keep it up to date unless it were merged in and as you said, ita a one-off.

thanks fir the conversation. I really appreciate the work and recognize the work it takes.

73 jb N4NQY
No worries..