Dual watch

IU8OGE

Dual watch

Post by IU8OGE » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:06 am

how is possible listen on 2 channel or two frequency with opengd77 ?
From the guide seems to anterstand to use the scan function, but this it's not very clear to me

can someone explain to me please

thanks

VK3KYY

Re: Dual watch

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:27 am

See the Sticky post

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1317

IU8OGE

Post by IU8OGE » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am

Dual Watch
The radio only has one receiver chip, any Dual Watch function requires the radio to constantly switch between 2 different frequencies.

This has been partially superseded by the Zone scan feature,and the TS filter disabling.
No one has yet given be a use-case which this does not seem to covered by using Zone scan and TS filter disabling

//////

ok so simply create a zone with X channel and than contnually scan that zone with ts disable, right ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Create a zone with 2 Channels then press and hold the up arrow to enable zone scan

Did you read the User Guide?

IU8OGE

Post by IU8OGE » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 pm

yes ok I read and I make this question because the user guide is non creal on this point for me.

I have antherstand this tweak is usefull having a zone and monitoring/scanning two channel (I tried too and work nice)

But what about scanning two frequency on the VFO and not in memory ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 pm

VFO -> New Channel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 am

But can't you just set one channel to DMR and the other to FM?

The only different between Zone Scan and Dual Watch is that with Dual Watch it displays both frequencies or both channels rather than the display constantly changing as the radio listens to one channel then the other.

So I agree to see what 2 channels or frequencies you are monitoring would require different functionality.

The radio hardware can't physically listen to one frequency and check whether the other "Priority" channel has a signal, because its only got one Tx/Rx chip.

I think even in DMR the radio would probably not be capable of changing channel / frequency, to listen on another channel / frequency on alternative timeslots, because the DMR chip seems to need 2 DMR frames (around 120mS) to get a "lock" on the DMR signal, and it would need to be able to get a lock in a lot less time than that for this to be practical.

i.e If you are listening on TS2, I don't think it can hop to another freq while the other station is transmitting TS1, and get back in time for the audio not to drop.

It certainly won't be spending any time trying to get the hardware to do this.

F4IOD

Post by F4IOD » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:23 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Create a zone with 2 Channels then press and hold the up arrow to enable zone scan

Did you read the User Guide?
Thanks, that's clever indeed.
I was looking for a way for a dual watch DRM + FM and here is the solution !

W6DUX

Post by W6DUX » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:43 am

I'm likely missing something but I think the dual watch feature gives you a bit more options from the device itself without cluttering up the code plug.

1. I don't think you can create a new zone to scan from the device. (Is it actually possible?) So, one would need to use an existing zone and enable skip for all the other channels or use all channels and enable all channels skip for everything else. Either way this is a tedious process.

2. You cannot delete channels, whereas dual watch on VFO lets you watch two channels without saving them.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:56 am

W6DUX wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:43 am
I'm likely missing something but I think the dual watch feature gives you a bit more options from the device itself without cluttering up the code plug.

1. I don't think you can create a new zone to scan from the device. (Is it actually possible?) So, one would need to use an existing zone and enable skip for all the other channels or use all channels and enable all channels skip for everything else. Either way this is a tedious process.

2. You cannot delete channels, whereas dual watch on VFO lets you watch two channels without saving them.
There are lots of things that you can't do in the radio, which you need to do in the CPS.
Unfortunately if we were to add all the functionality that is in the CPS into the UI of the radio, we would need to take some other functionality out of the radio, because there is limited space left in the ROM.