Building doc for OpenGD77 way of doing Talkgroups etc

G4EML

Re: Building doc for OpenGD77 way of doing Talkgroups etc

Post by G4EML » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:08 am

As Roger suggests, different networks use different talkgroups.

For simplicity you could have a single list containing every talkgroup you would ever use, but then it would be up to you to remember which ones were valid on which network.

It makes more sense to have a separate list for each network which only contain the talkgroups that are valid on that network.

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks Colin - this is all very helpful.

Do you find that a repeater will generally not be sharing DMR MARC and Brandmeister on the same repeater ?
For example this is a repeater in Christchurch NZ:
530305 ZL3DVR Christchurch 439.57500 1 Mixed Mode -5.000 Brandmeister + DMR Gateway
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 6 = XLX530 Reflector Module D
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 9 = Local Talk
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 530 = ZL National
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 5303 = ZL3 Regional
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 5304 = ZL4 Regional
Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 5305 = Bridge to YSF14274 + Wires X
Time Slot # 2 - Group Call 1 = IPSC NZ - DMR Marc Worldwide (TG 1)
Time Slot # 2 - Group Call 13 = IPSC NZ - DMR Marc Worlwide English (TG 13)
Time Slot # 2 - Group Call 8 = IPSC NZ - DMR Marc ZK National (TG 8)
Time Slot # 2 - Group Call 9 = IPSC NZ - DMR Marc ZL National (TG 530)
Please Use Time Slot # 2 for any other Dynamic TG's on BM Network Time Slot # 1 - Group Call 6 = XLX530 Reflector Module D
Is the point that having two TGLists means when you're on MARC you wont meet BM traffic ?

But for a repeater like this - presumably we make two Channel entries. Duplicating all frequencies but one set with the MARC TGList and the other with BM ? Or is there a "better way" ?

[doc post updated: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1230#p10875]

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 am

I have also found that giving EACH timeslot of a repeater it's own channel to be VERY useful and makes codeplug construction very logical. There are several reasons why this makes sense to me. Among the many reasons I do my codeplugs this way - It makes the results of scanning logical AND immediately understandable (as long as I do NOT use the promiscuous TS feature). NOTE: That's just ONE of the reasons I construct codeplugs this way and perhaps NOT the most important either !!

I also use multiple TG-Lists. That IS one of the most useful features of openGD77 for me as well. There are many examples of this, some of which have been given already PLUS It goes along with each giving each TS of a repeater it's own channel like "peas and carrots" (American slang i believe).

Anyways, thanks for reading this far and VY 73 om de "baab" w9ya

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 pm

As has been demonstrated, there is no ‘best’ way of constructing a codeplug. The power of any good system is allowing you to configure your radio the way that suits you. OpenGD77 allows plenty of variations.

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Yes I agree completely. That's why I'm attempting to understand the usecases so I can help myself and others to construct useful codeplugs. I'm still trying to tease it all out.
Got any usecases that might help me. Different points of view ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Zl1XE wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:29 pm
Yes I agree completely. That's why I'm attempting to understand the usecases so I can help myself and others to construct useful codeplugs. I'm still trying to tease it all out.
Got any usecases that might help me. Different points of view ?
The only strange one I heard of, was where there were multiple repeaters all with the same callsign, in different parts of a city which were all on the same network.

I think this may be relatively common in the USA, as the commercial systems have a roaming feature which switches repeaters depending on which one has the highest RSSI.

But this would only effect the construction of a Channels and Zones and not the TG's (AFIK)

And before anyone asks, No... Roaming can't be supported as the radio only has one receiver, so it can't check the RSSI on other repeaters while listening to traffic on a repeater.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:38 pm

I know that is is off topic but Motorola roaming doesn’t actual work that way. It is much dumber than you would think.

Basically a radio just scans a roam list until it finds a repeater that is strong enough to use and than hangs onto that repeater until it gets too weak to use. Then it scans for another one.
Only one receiver needed. Repeaters can be configured to send a regular beacon when not being used so that radios have something to lock onto when scanning.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:15 am

Colin

OK. Thanks.

Although we have a lot of DMR MARC repeaters in Melbourne, none of them are configured to send ident signals. So its not a feature I could use or even test.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:58 am

Roaming still works without the beacons but the radio will revert to scanning mode when there is no network activity. When you first press the PTT there is a longer delay while it try’s to access each repeater in the roam list to find one that responds.

It really is only useful in a coordinated system where all the repeaters are configured identically and all carry the same traffic. Not the case with most amateur networks.

Zl1XE

Post by Zl1XE » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks for all the info. Doc post updated and relational diagram.
- topic-link