Retevis RT3S / UV380 Teardown

G4EML

Re: Retevis RT3S / UV380 Teardown

Post by G4EML » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:12 am

Unfortunately there is no adjustable RX tuning on the MDUV380. It has a broadband front end which does not have any track tuning. Although the calibration table has RX tuning figures they do not appear to be used for anything. I believe that it is a left over parameter from the MD380 and MD9600 and they simply did not bother to remove them from the CPS tuning screen.

The testing I have done on a Comms test set shows that the RX performance is quite normal. Have you compared the performance when connected to an external antenna? It is quite common for low cost radios with colour displays to appear to have poor performance on VHF when using their own antenna. The Anytone 868 is the same. The colour display can generate a lot of VHF noise which is picked up by the whip antenna and makes the receiver appear to be deaf. I haven't noticed it on the MDUV380 but there is likely to be some variation between radios. Radios like the GD77 and 1801 with the simpler monochrome display are a lot quieter and don't seem to suffer from this.

S58SMS

Re: Retevis RT3S / UV380 Teardown

Post by S58SMS » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:19 am

Hello,

thank you for your information. I think you gave us all the information as you already did some research and have experience. I also tryed both stations on external diamond x300 antenna, and the recieve is still worser on TYT, Rt3s etc. than on Baofeng or RT90 mobile. In the end of the day, all those stations are very low budget and of course I don't expect much more out of than, you already squeezed it to the limit :).

Thank you
s58sms