ALLCALL with GD77

VK3KYY

Re: ALLCALL with GD77

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:02 pm

See

https://www.ailunce.com/blog/What-is-Di ... d-All-Call

Generally All Call is only used by commercial operators so that the company controller can broadcast to all employees regardless of what TGs each radio is allowed to receive via its RxG.

Commercial radio setups are completely different to ham radio. The users don't programming their own radios and they are locked to prevent those users hearing traffic that the company don't want them to hear.

The main difference with the All Call, is that the commercial radio firmware does not have a hang time on the All Call, and this prevents radios which receive an All Call from replying as an All Call unless the radio has All Call programmed into it.

This is totally different from ham radio operation and usage, especially with the OpenGD77 firmware.

AFIK all ham radio networks do not allow All Calls. You can only use it for simplex

The OpenGD77 deliberately does not implement the feature of the commercial firmware, where if you transmit during the Hang Time, the radio changes Tx TG to the received TG, because ham radio operators do not want the radio doing things unless you tell it to do that.

Its a constant cause of confusion for ham radio operators using commercial firmware , who have more than one TG in their RxG, because the radio can transmit on a TG they did not expect it to, and this problem would be worse on the OpenGD77 because the radio hears all TGs by default.

We already had to add an option to prevent reception of Private Calls, because this gets abused on some networks, and I would need to add another option to allow or not allow All Calls.

There would then need to be agreement by a large number of users of the firmware, whether for example if Contact filtering was enabked, should All Calls come through, or is it only for the RxG filter etc etc

So overall, All Call looks like a feature designed for commercial users and should proibably not be implemented in the OpenGd77 firmware

oe7abh

Post by oe7abh » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:39 am

Unfortunately, ALLCALL cannot be included in the RX group list

oe7abh

Post by oe7abh » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:57 am

Ok Roger,

all right. let's leave it at that ...
That answers the question!
thank you for the ufb firmware!

73 Alfred

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 pm

Interesting, I was just in a discussion claiming that All Call is increasingly popular for DMR Simplex instead of TG99 or TG9. First I'd ever heard of it, but I'm sure it comes from somewhere.

Anyone else ever heard of it used for Simplex? I'll just keep on using TG99 as that seems to be the convention here in the US.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 pm

kt4lh wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 pm
Interesting, I was just in a discussion claiming that All Call is increasingly popular for DMR Simplex instead of TG99 or TG9. First I'd ever heard of it, but I'm sure it comes from somewhere.

Anyone else ever heard of it used for Simplex? I'll just keep on using TG99 as that seems to be the convention here in the US.
Just googled simplex DMR and all the references I found say its TG99

Of course people can use whatever they like, TG, PC, AC , but TG99 has been the accepted standard for years

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:51 pm
Just googled simplex DMR and all the references I found say its TG99

Of course people can use whatever they like, TG, PC, AC , but TG99 has been the accepted standard for years
Oh I agree, but it keeps coming up in random discussions that some people use TG99, some use TG9, and now today I see people saying they've seen All Call used. I'll keep using TG99 personally but just thought I'd mention it here.